Should the public put pressure on the Government to address HMRC's backlog?

AB24781
AB24781 Posts: 1 Newbie
edited 7 November 2023 at 2:54PM in Cutting tax

Should the public put pressure on the Government to address HMRC's backlog? 12 votes

YES
25% 3 votes
NO
75% 9 votes

Comments

• BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 6,802
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    1. Not sure why you have put this in this particular forum
    2. Should the question be are the public prepared to pay more tax to fund public services??
  • BoGoF said:
    1. Not sure why you have put this in this particular forum
    2. Should the question be are the public prepared to pay more tax to fund public services??
    Agreed. There was a backlog when I left HMRC over thirty years ago - unlikely to change any time ever.
  • uknick
    uknick Posts: 1,611
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    You want lower taxes, government cut civil service, you get slower responses.  Not really rocket science.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,652
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Gordon Brown told them to reduce their salaries bill by 10%. A lot of experience and knowledge was lost with the resulting staff cuts.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,527
    Forumite
    To make the whole thing worse they got rid of the people who knew what they were doing, so everything takes longer anyway because it lands up being done more than once.  A phone call was completed in seconds, now you need at least 2 hold the line please conversations.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 21,225
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    There is an article in the FT today about HMRC staff getting increased public contact due to more people liable for interest on savings and confused about what to do. So potentially making contacting them even more difficult.
    The article does not help by implying that if you do owe tax on savings interest, you have to contact HMRC and/or fill in a tax return. Neither is actually necessary in the majority of cases.
  • uknick
    uknick Posts: 1,611
    Forumite
    Shock horror, now interest rates are not so pitifully small many, many more will be required to do self assessment or tell HMRC they need a tax code change thus increasing the workload on a department already lacking in staff and experience.

When the tax at source system changed in 2016 it wouldn't take a genius to see this coming.  I did, and that proves my point about not needing a genius!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback