U/C child (might) leave education

Hi
I'm struggling a bit to find out the effects of my 18 year old (thinking of) leaving education.  They are not enjoying their course and so thinking of looking for a job and doing a course with the Open University - learn and earn!  They are 18 and have no idea on what career they want to do.

I get U/C - adult (single), child and housing but having worked through some of the calculators it's quite scary!

I also get Council Tax Relief as I am on a low income (health wise I work a flexible 16 hour week - on the minimum wage, £10.42), also receive the lower rates of PIP for both aspects due to health.

So I can prospectively plan (!) I don't know what is going to be cut so I can think about if I can increase my hours without ending up setting myself up for being worse than I am healthwise.  Scared that I won't be able to pay the rent.  And my child wants to help as much as possible but not knowing an income, I'm going on the scare myself silly so they can consider their own options as well.  Here's me the parent concerned about their mental health as much as they are concerned about mine :(

Adult component
Child component
Help with rent - don't know if that stops.

Comments

• Yamor
    Yamor Posts: 312
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 6 November 2023 at 9:37PM
    You will continue to get money for yourself and your rent, but you will stop getting the child element.

For the rent, whether you are in a private rental or HA/LA property, you will still be entitled to 2-bedrooms, so that should stay the same. Your child will not attract a Housing Cost Contribution as they are only 18.

However (unless you have previously been assessed as having "limited capability for work" before you started working 16hrs/week), you will lose the Work Allowance, which effectively means you will lose a further £208.45 from your overall award of UC.

Council Tax Reduction will depend on which Council you are in.
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,154
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 6 November 2023 at 10:04PM
    Yamor said:
    However (unless you have previously been assessed as having "limited capability for work" before you started working 16hrs/week), you will lose the Work Allowance, which effectively means you will lose a further £208.45 from your overall award of UC.

Although because you claim PIP you could still have a work capability assessment.  If it resulted in LCW you'd then have the work allowance again (and backdated to the date you report your health condition to start off the WCA process).
    [If it resulted in LCWRA you'd have extra money too, but since you are managing to work it may be unlikely you meet any LCWRA descriptors.]

Also your child can claim UC in their own right whilst they look for work, they'd be entitled to £292.11 per month.
  • Yamor
    Yamor Posts: 312
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Yes, that's true. Didn't notice the PIP!
  • esellek
    esellek Posts: 64
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thank you ever so much for the replies, it's helped putting my mind at rest.  And, also, I didn't realise that they could look at claiming UC whilst job hunting!    Although I have PIP for my health, the U/C people haven't mentioned about the work assessment, so that is something I can also look into.

Thumbs up and thank you again.
  • You'll need a fit note to start the WCA process - in your position it will have to say your health condition/s restrict your ability to work, not that you can't work. 

But the main point of it is being the form of medical evidence they accept to start the WCA process so it doesn't really matter too much what it actually says, just that it mentions your main disabling condition/s.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback