Energy company have economy 7 readings transposed & I now have a bill - advice?

beastkingblast
beastkingblast Posts: 24
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 3 November 2023 at 8:20AM in Energy
Hi there,

My energy company have written to me to say they have my readings transposed. This now means I have a £600 debt. I've no idea how this happened or took so long to be picked up.
I don't have £600 spare to give. Can anyone offer any advice?

Thank you all in advance

Comments

• EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 20,829
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 3 November 2023 at 7:49AM
    My first question would be whether you are actually suited to E7 - as this seems quite a large discrepancy for a transposition. 

Second - have you checked that they actually WERE billing you incorrectly?

in answer to the question about how  it took so long to be picked up - I think that works both ways, no? How did you not notice this when you read the meters and checked against your bills - unfortunately works both ways! 

When we were on E7 we had transposed readings a couple of times - fortunately spotted quickly and in the second case, sorted out quickly. First time round we were with Scottish Power so it took a lot of faff to get them to step back from their default position of “don’t be ridiculous- of course we are right!” 

Further point - debit at this time of the year at any level  is not usually a good sign, you may need to increase your payments quite substantially. 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • RedFraggle
    RedFraggle Posts: 1,308
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Also do you use E7? My previous supplier thought my readings were transposed just because the lower number was the night rate. The previous occupant didn't use the storage heaters. 
    Officially in a clique of idiots
  • I've been entering my readings, I had no idea anything was wrong

I use very little energy at night, maybe heating set for an hour before waking up for warmth in cold weather. 
    Most energy is used day time - small amount of heating, cooking etc generally things
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,640
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Your name is visible in the photo. You might like to edit it.
    Transposed E7 readings would normally result in you overpaying, and your energy company then owing you a refund. I agree with EssexHebridean that you might be better off on a single rate tariff.
    I use very little energy at night, maybe heating set for an hour before waking up for warmth in cold weather.
    So you don't have storage heaters for space heating, or an electric immersion heater for hot water?
    How is your property and water heated?
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • Interestingly, they have my name wrong on the letter by one letter, not sure how they've done that - it's correct on my account online.

I just have radiators & a boiler. I have gas & electric 
  • QrizB
    Forumite
    In which case, it's likely that Economy 7 is going to continue costing you more than a single rate tariff will.
    E7 has seven hours of cheaper electricity overnight, but the seventeen daytime hours are more expensive to make up for it. If you use most of your electric in the daytime period, E7 will be an expensive option.

N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • QrizB said:
    In which case, it's likely that Economy 7 is going to continue costing you more than a single rate tariff will.
    E7 has seven hours of cheaper electricity overnight, but the seventeen daytime hours are more expensive to make up for it. If you use most of your electric in the daytime period, E7 will be an expensive option.

Thank you.
    Yeah I really don't use much night time energy, it's mainly days when I'm off work (I work 4 on, 4 off)
  • QrizB
    Forumite
    edited 3 November 2023 at 9:05AM
    Regarding your first question:
    Are you being asked to pay this now? If you pay your energy bills by monthly direct debit, I would expect that the unplanned £600 would be spread out over the next 12 payments when they next recalculate your DD, so an additional £50 per month.
    How long have you been an OFTM customer? How long have your readings been transposed for?

• QrizB said:
    Regarding your first question:
    Are you being asked to pay this now? If you pay your energy bills by monthly direct debit, I would expect that the unplanned £600 would be spread out over the next 12 payments when they next recalculate your DD, so an additional £50 per month.
    How long have you been an OFTM customer? How long have your readings been transposed for?

Tbh they haven't been clear on this.
    I just read the letter quite shocked 
    I'll call them tomorrow once I'm off work for more information 
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,760
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Check the meter on the wall and make sure the switchover times are sensible and note which register increases during the day.  Beware that some regions have a two-hour peak rate period during the night, typically 0030 - 0230 GMT.  Check whether the rates really were transposed.
    Do the sums and check whether single rate would be cheaper; most suppliers will bill an E7 at single rate without needing a meter change.
    Make sure the immersion heaters are left switched off and don't use an instantaneous electric shower.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback