EDF Energy Surpass Themselves - Absolutely No Shame

Attempt 4 today at getting smart meter installed for Economy 7 tariff (RTS being turned off shortly) following 3 previous "no shows".

Installer due to turn up between 12.00pm and 4.00pm.

No phone contact and another "no show".

Leading up to this, I had 3 text messages, 2 emails and 1 telephone call reminding me to turn up and make the meter accessible.

I can see the funny side of most things in life, but this has now made me angry and determined to get more than the obligatory £30 for a "no show".

Letters already composed to go off to EDF CEO, MP, OFGEM and media.

Should I be cool or go in all guns blazing?

Any tips would really be appreciated.

This property is not my main residence and I have now covered nearly 1,000 miles and wasted 24 hours of my life being in attendance for EDF time wasters!

Comments

• Why do you think that the media would care about this?
  • I can see why you might feel frustrated, but EDF aren't responsible for the costs or inconvenience resulting from you living so far away from your property. 

You are entitled to the same £30 statutory compensation as everyone else - if you wish to escalate the issue then you need to lodge a complaint with EDF for the repeated poor service; then in 8 weeks the ombudsman might consider the repeating failures entitle you to some additional compensation (probably another £30-60).

If it soothes you at all, escalating a complaint to the ombudsman is free for the customer but costs the supplier several hundred pounds even if the case is found in their favour.  

Worth remembering though that the ombudsman does consider if the complainant has acted reasonably in attempting to resolve the issue - so a logical and calm (proportionate) approach is advisable. 
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.

RTS switch off will affect a large number of customers, many of whom will be in the "vulnerable" category and reliant on E7 tariff for cheap overnight electricity for night storage heaters and hot water tank. If EDF approach is anything to go by, there is little hope that they will be ready for the switch off in March 2024. Pretty sure the media would be interested if there was a likelihood of pensioners being exposed to this situation through no fault of their own.

RTS switch off will affect a large number of customers, many of whom will be in the "vulnerable" category and reliant on E7 tariff for cheap overnight electricity for night storage heaters and hot water tank. If EDF approach is anything to go by, there is little hope that they will be ready for the switch off in March 2024. Pretty sure the media would be interested if there was a likelihood of pensioners being exposed to this situation through no fault of their own.
    I'd agree the red tops might enjoy such a story... but one anecdote does not a likelihood make ;) 
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.

I'd agree the red tops might enjoy such a story... but one anecdote does not a likelihood make ;) 

Well Farage achieved it with his Nat West exposure resulting in consequences for the CEO and share price.

I might not have the same platforms as Farage, but my own crusade has just started with letters to MP and local press to begin with.
  • PHMAL
    PHMAL Posts: 7
    First Post
    Forumite
    There has been talk of RTS being continued until at least April 2025, but this really needs to be confirmed or denied SOON !!
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,663
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    PHMAL said:
    There has been talk of RTS being continued until at least April 2025, but this really needs to be confirmed or denied SOON !!
    Why, specifically?
    What will you as a consumer do if it's confirmed? How does this differ from what you will do if it's denied?

N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 20,875
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    What proportion of E7 customers still have meters which even rely on RTS? Is that known?
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,663
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    What proportion of E7 customers still have meters which even rely on RTS? Is that known?
    Exeleon think there are something like 800k RTS customers. Some of those won't be using storage heaters any more, but I would expect most of them are.

N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback