Pension Credits

I am a single male pensioner with a very small private pension that puts my income at exactly £220 per week. I have tried to claim Pension Credits but have been told I do not qualify.

Does anybody know if or when the Government changes the qualifying level for this benefit?

Comments

• kaMelo
    kaMelo Posts: 2,274
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 1 November 2023 at 10:27AM
    Pension credit qualification levels tend to increase at the same time and in line with state pension increases.

Information on qualification here.

• If you rent there is a possibility you might be able to claim Housing Benefit.

You should do a benefits calculation to check you're not missing out on anything you could be claiming
    https://benefits-calculator.turn2us.org.uk/
    https://www.entitledto.co.uk/
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,847
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Also there may be a possibility of Council Tax support from your LA. 

Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Thank you all for your guidance.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,243
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    There are many pensioners who are in the same position.  I am one of them.  I rent with an over 60s HA and the rent is much lower than a private rental.  Although I was not eligible for PC I got about 70% of my rent and council tax paid.  With some deterioration in health I was eligible to claim Attendance Allowance and now get all my rent and council tax paid.  

As others have said, use one of benefit calculators to find out what you are entitled to.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback