Query re EUR cash withdrawal from EUR bank account in the UK

Hello, I'm trying to sort my finances and need to figure something out with a EUR account I have abroad. Thought I could pick your brains or perhaps you could share your practical experience.

I have an account in EUR with a bank in an EU country where I worked years ago. I didn't close the account and withdraw the balance when moving to the UK. Now I want to close the account and transfer the balance in EUR to a UK bank account. It seems some banks offer foreign currency accounts (e.g. Starling Bank, HSBC, Barclays). What I'd like to do, is to open a EUR bank account with a UK bank, transfer the EUR balance from the EU country to that account. I expect the transfer will be without a fee, at least if through SEPA.

However I want to have an option whereby I'll be able to make cash withdrawals from that EUR account in EUR in the UK and without a fee. I suppose that will not be possible to do through an ATM, hence Starling Bank is an unlikely option, as I expect I'd need to visit a bank branch. 

I do not want to convert the EUR balance into GBP, and want to have the flexibility to withdraw EUR cash in the UK without incurring fees. 

Do you know whether I can withdraw EUR cash from branches of banks that offer EUR accounts and without a fee? If so, which banks have you had that experience with/ would recommend?

I went through the T&Cs and fee information sheets for foreign currency (EUR) accounts of Barclays and HSBC Bank, and still couldn't find an answer. So it'd be great if you could share your experience or any ideas I could do this. 

Many thanks in advance!

Comments

• eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,526
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    As you want cash euros, will you be going to any eurozone countries? You could use any ATM there to withdraw cash from Starling, HSBC GMA account, Wise etc. I don't think there's any chance to draw euros from an ATM in UK fee-free, except at airport MoneyCorp machines. Barclays may provide euro cash withdrawals in branch, you could check.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • friolento
    friolento Posts: 866
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    You can search for UK ATMs that dispense EUR. https://www.link.co.uk/consumers/locator/#

• I have paid leftover Euros in cash over the counter in the UK into my HSBC Euro currency account (nb. not Global Money) with no fees, so I can't see why you wouldn't be able to withdraw too.

Barclays Euro account isn't really fit for purpose and there may be a receiving fee, but you can withdraw Euros in a Barclays branch although if over a certain amount you will need to give them notice. 
  • I have paid leftover Euros in cash over the counter in the UK into my HSBC Euro currency account (nb. not Global Money) with no fees, so I can't see why you wouldn't be able to withdraw too.

Barclays Euro account isn't really fit for purpose and there may be a receiving fee, but you can withdraw Euros in a Barclays branch although if over a certain amount you will need to give them notice. 
    The Barclays account works fine for branch based cash withdrawals and deposits. Whilst generally a bit clunky, it works fine for making and receiving SEPA Euro payments.

You don't get a card and obviously a non-EEA IBAN so you may get charged by extra by banks with the EEA. 
  • FredTrump said:
    I have paid leftover Euros in cash over the counter in the UK into my HSBC Euro currency account (nb. not Global Money) with no fees, so I can't see why you wouldn't be able to withdraw too.

The Barclays account works fine for branch based cash withdrawals and deposits. Whilst generally a bit clunky, it works fine for making and receiving SEPA Euro payments.

You don't get a card and obviously a non-EEA IBAN so you may get charged by extra by banks with the EEA. 
    When you say clunky, does this mean I cannot do anything with the crumbs left from my Fineco account > Barclays unless I go into a branch?

• FredTrump said:
    I have paid leftover Euros in cash over the counter in the UK into my HSBC Euro currency account (nb. not Global Money) with no fees, so I can't see why you wouldn't be able to withdraw too.

Thanks. Do you know whether the withdrawals at the branch are without any fees?

Also, are you saying Barclays does not provide a debit card for the account?

Do you know whether it is possible to do a transfer in Euros between EUR accounts in UK banks eithout fees or monies being converted EUR-GBP-EUR, i.e. to transferring euros from the said Barclays account (EUR) to Revolut account (EUR) when I need to use it with a card?

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback