Squirrels

Hi,
during the last 2 days a grey squirrel has been stationing very frequently outside of my kitchen, surely because a couple of times I've left some smelling garbage in the same area, waiting for the collection day.
Now that squirrel - that initially looked so cute - has become my nightmare, always searching for good and even trying to get inside. I've even seen it on the roof of the kitchen extension.
I've locked myself at home. I've closed all doors and windows because I dread that he could enter and maybe nest.

What can I do to get rid of it? Would it be drawn somewhere else if I left something like nuts at the other end of the garden, that is so big? A bribe for a peaceful coexistence, away from home.
Everything to keep him away!

Comments

• Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,049
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    If you leave some nuts at the far end of your garden they will leave your window alone but they are vey timid creatures and normally run away from humans, we have the odd one climb along our back garden fence and even comes into the garden to bury nuts etc ,if we go out they scarper away quickly.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • pieroabcd
    pieroabcd Posts: 472
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Today he didn't look shy at all. The previous days he ran away. But today he remained very tranquil close to the backdoor, like searching for a way to get inside. He could clearly see me through the window.
    This is the reason why I'm concerned 
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,326
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 25 October 2023 at 6:34PM
    It is odd behaviour.
    There's a chance that it was hand reared and released so doesn't have the same fear - or that it's desperate.
    Open the door and a loud clap should do it.

One idea is to get 2 large eyes drawn and put them in the window.
    I used 2 cheap  battery lights that were round and stood at a window with them close together and 'followed' the seagulls on the hotel roof opposite. They went away and came back a couple of times but eventually it worked :)
    Not sure about my mental health should someone in the street have seen!

But I've yelled at Magpies after the young Blackbirds and fired waterpistols at rampant Pigeons outside my bedroom so perhaps they expected that behaviour :D 

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,896
    Forumite
    If it receives no food then it will eventually stop coming back 
  • stuart45
    stuart45 Posts: 3,836
    Forumite
    They can nest in the roof space and do a fair amount of damage.
  • pieroabcd
    pieroabcd Posts: 472
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    In my lift there's my bedroom and the eaves.
    That would be a huge damage.
    Hopefully without food it will stay away
  • stuart45
    stuart45 Posts: 3,836
    Forumite
    They travel a long way every day from their nest looking for food, so they don't need to live right on top of their food source.
  • Eldi_Dos
    Eldi_Dos Posts: 1,542
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    With the lower sun could it be seeing its reflection in your window and be attracted by that.

Agree that not feeding and making sure rubbish bins are rodent proof are best course of action.
  • Squirrels are cute little monsters that can be a terrible nuisance-----I once had to clear them out of my loft area by having several visits from Rentokil who laid traps and took them away over half a dozen visits. I was also advised as to how to stop any further squirrel infestation---one of which was to cut back one of our favourite trees which overhung part of one side of our house. All has been OK ever since then. Of course we see them about our garden, just as we see foxes and small deer but we enjoy that. 
    We also had bats in the loft above an apartment we have in the grounds---it's against the law to kill or get rid of bats, so that was interesting : a story for another time.

Before ending, Rentokil gave us tips on how to keep squirrels away from a house ( other than by obvious ones such as keep all food out of reach, do not leave out nuts or other foods for birds,etc,  keep all refuse bins tightly closed). They said that they are repelled by certain smells and that placing substances outside with such smells really works. I found a link which covers that same sort of point ---hope it helps. Best wishes.

https://diypestcontrol.com/blog/10-scents-that-squirrels-hate-and-how-to-use-them.html#:~:text=Now that we know more,, Dryer Sheets, and Rosemary.

• pieroabcd said:
    Today he didn't look shy at all. The previous days he ran away. But today he remained very tranquil close to the backdoor, like searching for a way to get inside. He could clearly see me through the window.
    This is the reason why I'm concerned 
    It wasn't searching for a way to get inside - it's getting ready to flee, they're wild animals and not domesticated - it's self preservation behaviour and would only go towards you (the predator) or the house if you drove it in that direction.
    Read up on them, and their behavioural instincts. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback