Finding a tradesmen to fit LVT / MyBuilder?

Gloucestershire here. So having tried (and largely failed) to get pretty much any responses from local carpenters / trademen to fit flooring / skirting I thought I'd give MyBuilder a go with an abundance of caution. Any words of advice here? Having been stung before by dodgy 'tradesmen' I feel like a fish in a barrel, no different than going through checkatrade and looking for a roofer.

Comments

• KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,545
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Have you tried local carpet shops who also fit LVT? 
  • KxMx said:
    Have you tried local carpet shops who also fit LVT? 

They won't go near you unless you purchased their flooring unfortunately
  • ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 4,458
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Keep trying local for fitters, and check their reviews. Facebook is good - are you on a 'local' page? If so, ask. You should see a pattern - a few names, all 'highly recommended', but then sift through to see how varied the comments are, so more likely to be a genuine variety.

Mil had LVT fitted throughout her bungie, and found an Amtico style which she preferred. Problem - it was approaching £10k, and the local flooring shop had a seeming monopoly on it. A care visitor highly recommended a local father-and-son fitter, and he said he could also source it, and was £ks cheaper. Others backed up this recommendation. The job was first class.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 11,959
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I agree with TIW -  Local Facebook pages and contact the recommended ones. Avoid Check A Trade / MyBuilder - uour good local tradesman won't use them.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure