Self Assessment account due by 31 January 2024

Hi,

I recently completed my self assessment as I claim child benefit and am a higher earner.

After the calculation completed it stated that
"Total to be added to Self Assessment account due by 31 January 2024" £900.

Do I need to make a payment directly to HMRC and if so how do I do this? Or do they change my tax code and take the money automatically? 

Thanks

Comments

• A lot depends on how you completed your return.

One of the questions near the end asked about your preference for paying the tax, can you remember how you answered that?

One of the questions near the end asked about your preference for paying the tax, can you remember how you answered that?
    Ah yes, there is a question: 
    2. If you owe tax for 2022-23 and have a PAYE tax code, we will try to collect the tax due (If less than £3,000) through your tax code for 2024-25, unless you put 'X' in the box:

and I didn't put an X so they should change my tax code.

Ah yes, there is a question: 
    2. If you owe tax for 2022-23 and have a PAYE tax code, we will try to collect the tax due (If less than £3,000) through your tax code for 2024-25, unless you put 'X' in the box:

and I didn't put an X so they should change my tax code.

Providing you are earning enough and your tax code can support the £900 then you should be fine.

If you check your Self Assessment account a few days after submitting the return you should an adjustment on your statement of account (not your tax return) so there is nothing directly payable in January.

You won't get a revised tax code until Jan/Feb next year, ready for the 2024-25 tax year.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback