Santander telling porkies

Lady from Santander met my wife on the street in Newtown Powys and kindly seggested that our 
ISA's needed upgrading. Lets do it now said lady, I have her name, My wife left Santander and I went in a few minutes later. The offer was 4.15% this was 6 months ago. A week or so ago I decided to log into our accounts my account showed 4.15% but here's the problem.. my wife's only shows 1.2%.  My wife called in Branch The lady has retired, Manager on holiday but stand in manager thought there would be no problem but it needed Head office approval. My wife got a phone call from Head office yesterday 23rd Oct, saying due to 'lack of evidence' nothing could be done. Wife has lost £1800 in 6 months, just under £4000 for the year. We have written notes from Santander's retired lady from that day showing our joint interest to be £7000 after the one year period. As Santander have washed their hands of their mistake we would be grateful for any suggestions or legal channels we could persue. I am 81 my wife is 77
many thanks

Comments

• Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 21,225
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Lady from Santander met my wife on the street in Newtown Powys

I presume you mean the meeting was in the branch, not in the street?

my account showed 4.15% but here's the problem.. my wife's only shows 1.2%.  

Are the two accounts showing as identical when you log on? Or has one got a different name to the other, or different issue number, or something like that ?

I am thinking that you must have both registered for different types of account, to have such a difference in interest rate.

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 115,739
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
     We have written notes from Santander's retired lady from that day showing our joint interest to be £7000 after the one year period. 
    Did you give a copy of those to the complaints team?

As Santander have washed their hands of their mistake we would be grateful for any suggestions or legal channels we could persue. 
    The complaints process with a bank is more consumer friendly than the courts.  Courts would ask you present your evidence and as it stands, Santander say there is no evidence.   

It would be daft to go to the courts on something like this, when the regulated complaints process is free-of-charge to use and more consumer friendly.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 29,969
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Just to add, in between Santander's own internal complaints process and the courts, you have the option of escalating to the Financial Ombudsman Service, which is also more consumer-friendly than courts, basing adjudications on what's fair, over and above legal and contractual positions....
  • refluxer
    refluxer Posts: 2,539
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 24 October 2023 at 10:50AM
    1.2% is the current interest rate for Santander's 'ISA Saver' which is the default/maturity option for when a fixed rate ISA comes to an end and they don't receive any maturity instructions, so my guess would be that you both previously had fixed rate ISAs at some point in the past, they matured, Santander spotted this when your wife visited the branch and suggested 'upgrading' it to another fixed rate product but, for some reason, that didn't actually happen ?

I've had Santander fixed rate ISAs too and, despite opening the account online and receiving confirmation emails, they still seem to like to send some correspondence through the post so you should have received a letter confirming that the new ISA had been set up 1-2 weeks after the branch visit, had it been successful. To be honest - I would have expected some kind of confirmation paperwork in the branch at the time you opened it, too.

It sound like you've got nothing to lose by presenting Santander with the written notes you've got.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback