Applying for UC post-separation - joint account for kids

Hello - just filling in my UC application for the first time and I wasn’t sure about this one. As part of our divorce discussions, my soon-to-be ex and I have agreed to set up a joint account for the kids’ expenses (clothes, extracurricular activities, friends’ birthday presents etc). We trust each other not to rip each other off and it makes it easier to sort out whatever we need to get for them. He pays in 2/3 of the agreed to total and I pay in 1/3, to reflect our salaries. 

However, the account is in both our names, and I’m not sure how to account for that when advising what accounts I have. Should I give the full amount in the account (which isn’t reflective of what I alone can pay), report my 1/3 portion of the total, or should I simply record what my ex has paid into that anccount under child maintenance when completing the form?

Sorry if this is really obvious! But thanks for reading 😊

Comments

• Do you have capital over £6k? If all the money in the joint account doesn't put you over the capital thresholds then just put it all down.
  • It's never really advisable to have a joint account when claiming as single.
  • Do you have capital over £6k? If all the money in the joint account doesn't put you over the capital thresholds then just put it all down.
    I do, yeah, but the total doesn’t take me anywhere near the £16,000 limit. 
  • Rubyroobs said:
    It's never really advisable to have a joint account when claiming as single.
    This was the best way we saw to share the kids’ expenses, rather than my having to justify spending or ask for money each time, or to have to be responsible for all their purchases - we can actually share that role. 
  • Rubyroobs
    Rubyroobs Posts: 845
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Rubyroobs said:
    This was the best way we saw to share the kids’ expenses, rather than my having to justify spending or ask for money each time, or to have to be responsible for all their purchases - we can actually share that role. 
    Yes I completely appreciate that, just saying that if the DWP ever scrutinised your single claim ( as they can and do ), then financial links with an ex can be something which could cause problems.
  • Rubyroobs said:
    Rubyroobs said:
    Yes I completely appreciate that, just saying that if the DWP ever scrutinised your single claim ( as they can and do ), then financial links with an ex can be something which could cause problems.
    😬 Would you recommend that we change it so that it turns into a standard maintenance arrangement instead, and delete the joint account?
  • Newcad
    Newcad Posts: 783
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    What it comes down to is your access to the account.
    If you can access the account, and so spend any/all the money that is in there, then the DWP will count it as being your money.
  • Newcad said:
    If you can access the account, and so spend any/all the money that is in there, then the DWP will count it as being your money.
    If it's a joint account, with someone who's not a partner, wouldn't they class half of it as the OP's?
  • Newcad said:
    If it's a joint account, with someone who's not a partner, wouldn't they class half of it as the OP's?
    Doubt it. A joint account just means that there are two holders of the account. It doesn't specify how the asset is shared - you both own all of the funds. Bit like a mortgage with two people being joint and several, you're both fully responsible for the full debt.

That's why you shouldn't have a joint account with someone you don't trust implicitly. As previous posters have mentioned, it's quite likely to get DWP asking questions about how single you are if they notice it. 

Just keep the balance relatively small because you're UC entitlement is reduced with between 6k and 16k of savings. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback