Wool coat purchased January 2023

I wonder if anyone could advise please.  I purchased a wool coat from Karen Millen, delivered 16/01/23.  I went to wear it last week for the first time since Spring and the seam has come apart near the neck.

I messaged the shop who point blank refused to do anything as it has passed 6 months.  I explained that common sense would say it has not been worn continuously since January as was not needed during the summer months and I would expect a winter coat to last much longer than the 10 months I had been in possession of it. 

I just wondered if I do have any rights with regards to this and how I would go about getting my point across.  

TIA

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,294
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 23 October 2023 at 7:45AM
    You need to show that there was an inherent fault after 6 months. Which would involve getting some sort of report and which might cost more than the coat anyway.
     When you say it’s come apart, do you mean it’s frayed or just that the stitching has come undone because it might be easier just to sew it back up again.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • If you're not confident about your ability to fix it, take it to a dry cleaner that does repairs.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,005
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 23 October 2023 at 1:31PM
    As it's over 6 months old you'll need to get a report stating that the coat has failed due to an inherent fault and not something you've done. 

As it has split at the seam then clearly this is a stitching issue. The shop would then need to pay for the report, then repair, replace or refund (their choice).

I'd go back to speak to them and let them know that you'll be getting an independent report to show it is faulty then under the CRA 2015 they'll then need to resolve the issue as above.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • caz2460
    caz2460 Posts: 99
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks all.  I would not usually be bothered but I spent extra believing I had invested in a coat that would last me a few winters at least.  I don’t really won’t to mess it up with my own sewing skills 😂. 
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,294
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    If you're not confident about your ability to fix it, take it to a dry cleaner that does repairs.
    Or a local independent sewing person? 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 9,174
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Our local place does an ok job and their seam repairs start at £4

Before investing a load of time in getting reports done etc just find out how much it's going to cost to repair. It may not be worth the agro 
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,253
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    I can understand the OP's annoyance/anger at the attitude of the vendor but pragmatism is probably the best way forward.  That, and avoid that particular shop in future.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,005
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    caz2460 said:
    I wonder if anyone could advise please.  I purchased a wool coat from Karen Millen, delivered 16/01/23.  I went to wear it last week for the first time since Spring and the seam has come apart near the neck.

I messaged the shop who point blank refused to do anything as it has passed 6 months.  I explained that common sense would say it has not been worn continuously since January as was not needed during the summer months and I would expect a winter coat to last much longer than the 10 months I had been in possession of it. 

I just wondered if I do have any rights with regards to this and how I would go about getting my point across.  

TIA
    Take the coat into the shop and show them the fault. If the sales manager has half a brain they'll be able to see it is faulty and offer a suitable solution. Just be assertive and polite. 

If they then refuse to do anything, I'd quote the consumer rights act, point out that it is clearly faulty, you are happy to pay for a report to show this, then they'd end up having to pay for the report cost as well as a repair/replacement/refund. 
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • Alderbank
    Alderbank Posts: 2,697
    Forumite
    pinkshoes said:
    caz2460 said:

TIA
    Take the coat into the shop and show them the fault. If the sales manager has half a brain they'll be able to see it is faulty and offer a suitable solution. Just be assertive and polite. 

That ship has sailed.

Karen Millen was bought out by Boohoo some years ago. Boohoo promptly closed all the shops so it is now an on-line only brand. Their website says 'sorry we don't have a phone number' so the OP presumably messaged them via Apple messaging or Facebook.

The company says its philosophy is,
    'When it comes to fabrics and finishes, form and fit, we’re fastidious about quality, and thoughtfully consider every button, stitch and seam. As such, we hold the creation process of our collections in the highest regard.'
    ...so you would think they would be concerned about a faulty seam.

No need to complicate things by involving a third party repair shop.
    Karen Millen operate their own repair service, 'The Seam'. This operates UK-wide on a franchise basis.
    https://www.karenmillen.com/repair-alterations-service.html

In the OP's place I would remind them of their quality promise and ask them to agree to a seam repair by The Seam.
  • PHK
    PHK Posts: 1,141
    Forumite
    Playing devils advocate here,the retailer could say this is accidental damage or the work of moths etc.

I wouldn't say a full report is needed but certainly the written opinion of an experienced tailor or seamstress. 

They only need to say that it's a fault,why and that the coat has had light wear  
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback