TV points - needed?

We have a Sky dish mounted on the side of our house and an aerial in the loft.
We have Sky Q with four Q boxes. Some of the tellies are plugged into the aerial sockets
In the loft we have a 8 way aerial amplifier Integrated Bypass, and an Antiference power supply, that have both been plugged in for years. I have just disconnected the two units and it made no difference to any of the tellies that we could detect.  
Questions;
1/ Would i be right in thinking that the aerial sockets now play no part in our operation and, if so, the the two devices in the loft are no longer needed.
2/ If the answer is yes, are there any circumstances where we might need them in the future. (I suppose I am thinking if we ditch Sky)
3/ We are having an extension built that will have a TV in it. The electrician has quoted to install a TV point. Am I right in thinking that this is not required.

Let me know if you need any more info or pictures, but otherwise I would be grateful for any help with the answers

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,778
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Most TVs now have a built in digital tuner. So using the aerial you could receive free to air TV channels without sky. 
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • If you want to receive freeview you will need the aerial and amplifier if needed in various rooms. 

If you have a smart TV you can receive many channels via your Broadband eg for Sky now you don't even need a dish.

Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• MisterNick
    MisterNick Posts: 1,241
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Many thanks for the responses.
    I'll leave the two items in the loft unplugged in case we need them. Don't expect we will, but they don't take up much room.
    It sounds like we will not need the tv point in the extension, but I've got a bit of time to reconsider that.

Once agin many thanks, your help is much appreciated.
  • The future is via the Internet, install some cat 5/6 sockets.
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • when I moved house I got an aerial guy in as the aerial was rubbish even with a booster (there was also a sky dish).  He told me I'd be wasting my money as the reception was poor where I was and he advised satellite only so he replaced the dish.  I have sky now but I used freesat initially.  I then had a house refurb and only had satellite points put in.  Smart TVs these days just don't need an aerial or dish.
  • MisterNick
    MisterNick Posts: 1,241
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Thanks for taking the time to reply Mutton and Grubby Girl. Points noted and will be taken up with the electrician when I speak to him
  • Thanks for taking the time to reply Mutton and Grubby Girl. Points noted and will be taken up with the electrician when I speak to him
    A lot of electricians don't know about networking, but basically you need to run one or two CAT 5/6 cables from each possible TV location back to the place you'd normally keep your broadband router. A single lead out of the back of your router/modem into a switch with appropriate number of outputs then via a patch panel for neatness.

For a small number of connections, standalone stuff would be OK.

Your TV and/or network internet music player then plugs into a local Cat 6 socket so there is a rock solid connection, no need to worry about wifi extenders, solid or celotex filled walls etc.

Examples of the kit.

Stand alone:

https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/products/37885-tp-link-ls1008g/

Rack mounted:

https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/products/40621-tp-link-tl-sg1218mp/

https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/products/22445-esscable-ut-899544/

It's better to use patch panels and patch cables for larger installs. You may want POE switches if you want to add any network cameras or wireless access points in rooms around the house (I hard wire to WAPs in far corners of the house and then hide the WAP somewhere).
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure