Consumer Right Act 2015 Currys

Hello All,

I bought a Samsung American fridge freezer from Currys in Jan 2020 for £1429, from about early 2022 it seemed to be working harder. Didn't really want one, but we had moved, and the kitchen had one before us.

In September 2023, it literally went bang and blew its PCB board, and threw the whole house cut out switch.

Cutting a very long story short, I didn't get anywhere with Samsung, and I had resolved to find someone to repair it as their approved engineers had terrible reviews.

No one locally wanted to touch it, tough for parts, service manuals and mainly throwing good money after bad as something had to be wrong to burn out the PCB in the first place.

The last engineer suggested it might be more fruitful to contact Currys under the above act.

This has been going on since Mid-Sept. I bought an emergency under counter fridge @ £175 lost £100+ of food, and subsequently found out it was burning through heaps of electricity circa £.90-1.10 a day on top of the under counter.

I made Currys send their own Engineer to do the report, as again no one interested locally.

Lots of offers and counteroffers, with a threat of county court. I had an offer of £650 in store credits with two year usable life.  I refused this and said I paid with a debit card, I wanted to be refunded the same way.

The more I dwelled on it in the last 48 hours, it is going to cost me £1600+ for a like for like replacement which TBH I cannot afford shelling out £900 on top of the refund currently and feel quite unhappy with the situation.

I had an email saying they will on this occasion do it by BACS but only after they have collected the appliance, which is a genius move because it is going to leave a whacking great big hole in my kitchen until I can afford to replace the bloody thing.

Take the money and run, or on the basis they have already admitted liability with the refund, I now turn the table on them and say I want a like for like replacement? 

Thanks for reading tried to make it as short as possible, lots more went on in the process 

Comments

• Okell
    Okell Posts: 616
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I think if they can't repair it then all you are entitled to is a nearly four year-old replacement fridge - not a new one.

If they are offering you a £650 cash refund (45% of the original cost) I think you need to consider it carefully before turning it down.

Have you tried to get them to increase their offer?  (I see they've moved from in-store vouchers to cash).

Have any of the engineers who've looked at it actually told you that "the fault" must have been present at purchase? 
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 29,926
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    If you've had nearly four years life out of it then they're not going to offer the full cost of a new one (and aren't obliged to)!  Take the money and run....
  • Alderbank
    Alderbank Posts: 2,698
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    CRA 2015 says that Currys must either repair or replace (their choice) if not too expensive. If they can't they must refund.

It's beyond repair. Replace means replace with a similar 3.5 year old Samsung, which would be like for like. However if they don't have one and can't find one they can't replace. They could have chosen to give you a new one but they don't have to.
    If they can't repair or replace they must refund, but they can make allowance for the use you have had. You paid about £1,400 3.5 years ago so a refund of £650 is actually quite reasonable.

If they are now offering £650 back to your account, which is what you are entitled to under CRA, the MSE approach would be to negotiate with them to try to get a bigger discount off a new fridge. Instead of £650 cash your local manager might be willing to give £750 off a new model (a new sale for him). You would not have to pay the difference all at once and you would not have that gap in your kitchen.

You might want to consider whether you want another Samsung. I have been lucky - my Samsung American style fridge freezer is still going strong after 15+ years but we see many cases on this forum of them failing after a very short time, and as you have found out they can be difficult and expensive to repair.
  • Personally I'd expect longer from a £1400 Samsung appliance and would be pushing them for a refund of around £890 which would give a lifespan of 10 years (meaning you've paid around £540 for the 3 years and 9 months worth of use). 

After they refund you something for the appliance I'd then go back to me again with a claim for the £100 worth of food (assuming you can show such).
  • Alderbank said:
    CRA 2015 says that Currys must either repair or replace (their choice) if not too expensive. If they can't they must refund.

It's beyond repair. Replace means replace with a similar 3.5 year old Samsung, which would be like for like. However if they don't have one and can't find one they can't replace. They could have chosen to give you a new one but they don't have to.
    If they can't repair or replace they must refund, but they can make allowance for the use you have had. You paid about £1,400 3.5 years ago so a refund of £650 is actually quite reasonable.

If they are now offering £650 back to your account, which is what you are entitled to under CRA, the MSE approach would be to negotiate with them to try to get a bigger discount off a new fridge. Instead of £650 cash your local manager might be willing to give £750 off a new model (a new sale for him). You would not have to pay the difference all at once and you would not have that gap in your kitchen.

You might want to consider whether you want another Samsung. I have been lucky - my Samsung American style fridge freezer is still going strong after 15+ years but we see many cases on this forum of them failing after a very short time, and as you have found out they can be difficult and expensive to repair.
    They started out at £440 - my problem is I do not have the cash in hand to get a 1000+ fridge freezer, my main issue with the offer is they want to collect the dead machine which I would like to keep as an ornament for the moment!

They are doing it out of spite. The Currys engineer went through every single component testing it with volt meters and apart from the blown PCB, nothing was wrong, he did say it could be degassed, but you would have to replace the PCB.to find out.

Oddly, a lady has replied to my post on Samsung board saying she had the same problem only used the Samsung approved repairers for £295 for a new board and compressor, and it still is not working, and her home filled with the smell of Gas.  So I am reasonably confident that it must have been degassing to the point it couldn't cool, hence working overtime.

On one hand I am better off than I was after speaking to Samsung, but on the other, I in no way expected a fridge freezer to breakdown in 43 months, I would think 10 years is not unreasonable. 

I think in 40+ years I have owned 4 including this one, all the other 3 I gave away still working!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback