Carer and Employment and Support Allowance

In receipt of statutory sick pay.
Off work because am caring for husband who is very ill. As a result I am overwhelmed and experiencing stress++
SSP ends in one week.
Am under 65.
Should I try and claim ESA - am aware how difficult it is to demonstrate stress in the capability for  work Questionnaire.
Or, should I claim Universal Credit and Carers Allowance.
I am a carer BUT I am also unable to work because of my emotional health. 
Many thanks


  • Your options are:
    CA if your husband receives a qualifying disability benefit (cannot be paid together with ESA)
    UC, depending on your overall situation (can be claimed alongside ESA or CA, which would be deducted in full from UC)

    If you claim UC and you are down as your husband's carer, you won't be required to look for work.  He would need to have a work capability assessment unless he already claims ESA, although it's possible it would be quite straightforward for him depending on what his illness is.

    Does he claim any benefits?  Do you have any other income, any savings (both/either of you)?

    I would recommend using a benefits calculator and seeing what it says.
  • emad_3
    emad_3 Posts: 8
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thank you.

Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 341.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards