TV / Fireplace layout

RomfordNavy
RomfordNavy Posts: 665
First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
Would appreciate thoughts on whether it might be better to place the TV mounted directly above the fireplace or six foot away?  The room is such that if TV is above the fireplace that is about nine foot away from the person whereas if six foot away on the next bit of wall it is twelve foot away from them.
My primary concern is whether if seperated you find that your eyes are constantly being drawn away from the TV to the fire and back.

Comments

• ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 4,458
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    That shouldn't be an issue. Our TV is on a unit immediately adjacent to the FP - the LH edge of the TV is within 10mm of the side of the fireplace. When we watch the tele, we watch the tele.
    If we want to look at the fire, we look at the fire, but that doesn't happen when it's teletime :smile:
    The two don't clash or fight for our attention.
    In addition, if this is a real fire, then it will be hot immediately above it.
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,084
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Height of TV vs seated eye height would be a worry for me. 
    Ideally you want the centre of screen at the seated eye height.
    Otherwise you need to crane your neck up to watch stuff and may need to angle TV down to the viewing position.

Heat from a fire isn't usually good for electronics longevity.
  • RomfordNavy
    RomfordNavy Posts: 665
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 18 October 2023 at 8:24PM
    Rodders53 said:
    Otherwise you need to crane your neck up to watch stuff and may need to angle TV down to the viewing position.

Height not a problem as a 15deg wall mount bracket points the TV directly at those watching.
    Fire is going to be a woodburner, and has a stone fireplace so heat noot much of an issue but thanks for the comments.

• ThisIsWeird
    Forumite
    Surely the main current of hot air will be coming straight up the face of the chimney breast? And straight on to the TV if there?
    If not, how else?
  • oldernonethewiser
    oldernonethewiser Posts: 1,704
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 18 October 2023 at 9:07PM
    Rodders53 said:

Height not a problem as a 15deg wall mount bracket points the TV directly at those watching.
    Fire is going to be a woodburner, and has a stone fireplace so heat noot much of an issue but thanks for the comments.

That alters the angle but not the height.  Viewers will still be looking up rather than straight ahead.  Lots of people seem to have no problem with this of course but if I owned a TV it would be situated at, or as near to, eye height when seated.

Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• ThisIsWeird
    Forumite
    edited 18 October 2023 at 9:21PM
    I've just stared, from my sofa, at the mirror that's above our fireplace - it's only around 2' higher than the TV. Didn't like looking even slightly upwards at all
    I agree with ontw.
    So, apart from slight eye-ache and a melted TV,  it's aaaall gooood.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,716
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Rodders53 said:

That alters the angle but not the height.  Viewers will still be looking up rather than straight ahead.  Lots of people seem to have no problem with this of course but if I owned a TV it would be situated at, or as near to, eye height when seated.

This, and the original response about TVs being at eye level.  

TVs should be at eye level for comfortable viewing.  I cannot fathom sticking it on the wall above a fireplace.  Size the TV according to the distance it is away from people if you're worried, but don't hang it up in the air.  
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Mutton_Geoff
    Mutton_Geoff Posts: 3,793
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Always centre of screen at eye level when you're on your sofa. I'm always amused when I see TV's mounted above fireplaces and other places that will keep neck therapists busy.
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • flo22
    flo22 Posts: 320
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 19 October 2023 at 9:06AM
    As someone with a dodgy neck there is no way I could watch a TV that is not at eye level, I do often wonder if constantly looking at a TV that is above a fireplace could be a recipe for a bad neck in the future.
    30+ years working in banking
  • Chickereeeee
    Chickereeeee Posts: 1,168
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 19 October 2023 at 9:02AM
    Always centre of screen at eye level when you're on your sofa. I'm always amused when I see TV's mounted above fireplaces and other places that will keep neck therapists busy.
    Yep. Our current house had the TV mounted above the fireplace when we moved in. Neatly done, all power and signal (sat dish, aerial, HD recorder etc) wiring plumbed in an hidden when the room was replanted.  AWFUL location! I had to chop off all that wiring, and hang a picture over their hard work.

TV now off to one side, at eye-level when seated. MUCH more relaxing.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback