Can UC make someone sign on 4 times further than their closest job centre?

2»

Comments

• tomtom256
    tomtom256 Posts: 2,216 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I think you can claim any and all travel costs back
    No you can't. Certain travel can be claimed, but normal jobcentre appointments can't be reclaimed.

• born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,406 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    gbhxu said:
    It's not just the time getting to the Job Center. It's the cost too!

When I was unemployed over 10 years ago, I knew someone that had to travel 24 miles to his designated Job Center, at that time costing about £10. This took 80 minutes and included a change of bus with a 15 minute wait. Had he been assigned his nearest Job Center he could have got there for free because his family would have combined it with shopping.  

Many area's now have a max £2 single bus fare now.

Also many JC are not set up for people with disabilities. Our local one is upstairs, so requires a trip to city center JC. Even then the floor for UC is upstairs & they have to come down to see you if you are unable to walk down stairs in the event of a fire...
    Life in the slow lane
  • She got transferred to the closer one...... then they forced her back to the further away one. !!!!!! is this nonsense???
  • huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,818 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    No, Job Centres normally stick to postcode allocation of claims, otherwise they risk having too many claimants wanting to go to one office.  

If the person concerned is that annoyed by this, then the best course of action is to complain using the DWP complaints process, providing reasons for needing to attend the closest Job Centre.

The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback