Balancing payment / POA & adjusted tax code



  • mrrossi said:
    Thanks all once again. I tried to complete the online form to adjust before I went on holiday but ultimately just entered some text saying "please can I change the tax code back to NOT collect the extra tax through it" - and it's worked, they've adjusted the code!

    Unfortunately, they've done it too close to payroll and my work says they cannot adjust for this months pay. So that means I'm going to be taxed the extra amount again, 2 months in a row.

    Is there a way I can claim this back please?
    There is nothing you can "claim" whilst still employed.

    Any extra tax over deducted will always be resolved via your Self Assessment return.

    Or if the latest tax code is issued on a cumulative basis then you will see the tax corrected the first time your employer operates the new code.  

    A non cumulatively code is often shown as say 1257LX or 1257L (X).  The X isn't actually part of the tax code, it's showing the basis of operation and signifies non cumulative.
  • mrrossi
    mrrossi Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Thanks - payroll have advised that HMRC might - although it sounds unlikely - issue a cumulative code. I've reached out and asked online; worth a try :)
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards