Cracks in bathroom ceiling

I'm seeking advice from someone who is an expert on bathrooms. Mine has started developing mould patches on the ceiling, after 9 years of being mould free. I thought it was my extractor fan being clogged up, but I'm not sure. I'm worried about the cracks in the ceiling. I think its water damage, it feels damp to touch. There is a bathroom directly above belonging to another flat. Can anyone advise? How serious are the cracks likely to be? Thanks.

Comments

• ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 4,458
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I suspect a slow leak from above. Looks too focused and localised to be cond from your own bathroom.
    Kill with mould killer/bleach, give it a coat of emulsion, and if it returns - or doesn't dry - then almost certainly from above.
    At the same time, let the other flat owner know. Tell them it's currently a suspicion only, but 'please check for any obvious sources, such as failed sili seals, etc.'

• ThisIsWeird
    Forumite
    edited 13 October 2023 at 8:20AM
    Seeing it now on a big screen, it looks to me even more likely to be from above. The brown stains are characteristic of water penetrating from above, and taking the dust/dirt in the ceiling void with it.
    If you have emulsion paint, give that area, and a foot beyond, a coat - just to see if it dries out. If these patches do not, whilst the surrounding area does, then I think that's your answer.
    Tell yer upstairs fellow asap. This is probably fixable with just stain block and paint, provided it doesn't continue. Any signs of lifting edges, then brush in a coat of SBR first. But, it all needs to be dry first.
  • Pingu1
    Pingu1 Posts: 89
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thank you for the advice. What is SBR?
  • ThisIsWeird
    Forumite
    Pingu1 said:
    Thank you for the advice. What is SBR?

Sorry - tho' Google is your friend :blush:
    It's a strong waterproof adhesive/sealer/stabiliser/primer and ad-mixture for concrete and mortar and all sorts. It's nicely watery on its own, so should be drawn in to small cracks and gaps like these by capillary-a. I would expect it to help bond and repair any potentially loose bits of Artex, and also seal the surface to prevent any more staining coming through.
    Once dry, emulsion paint straight on.
    There are purpose-made stain blockers for such staining too, but I would be tempted to use something with additional properties like being an adhesive, as that should help to secure the area. And SBR is cheap.

Have you spoken to the flat above? If not, you should. You are not 'accusing' them, but you have your strong suspicions, "so could you please check that there's no way water could be leaking through..."

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback