Severe mental impairment document proof

Hello 
Recently my disabled sister came to live with us. It has taken just over 2 months to get the DWP to issue letters in her name to my address, & i am now able to go to my local council to put in  claim for a tax reduction due to SMI of my sister. 
Our GP has completed the SMI form, and i have a letter stating she is in receipt of ESA, but i do not have anything which states she is in receipt of higher rate of PIP on both the care & mobility aspect. When i called the DWP PIP line, he said that the form BF57 ( appointeeship) was sufficient to send as proof of PIP. I am not so sure, so i thought i would ask on the forum. It maybe that they are not that concerned at getting only one letter as proof, but as my sister has only been living with us since July, i am still trying to understand benefits. Thankyou 

Comments

• Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,690
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 12 October 2023 at 5:13PM
    I'm confused as to why they just didn't say they'd send a Statement of Entitlement to her or indeed appointee at her current address. If you get no better answers to follow I'd call up and ask for a Statement of Entitlement to be sent. Such a document details the award and award length and the descriptor (statement of disability) for each activity that was applied. It's the best document for proving PIP award and is designed to do that so works well in various arenas as a detailed proof. Anyway it is something you'll resolve one way or another... the difficult part was getting a GP to complete their section of the form... I've been trying for 5 months now.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,529
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I can't help with your issue but are you aware you may qualify for reduced Council Tax.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,734
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I can't help with your issue but are you aware you may qualify for reduced Council Tax.

That's exactly what SMI is all about. https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/severe-mental-impairment-dementia-council-tax-rebate/

• Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,529
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Apologies, just trying to help
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • Robbie64
    Robbie64 Posts: 1,930
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    As Muttleythefrog has posted, the call handler on the PIP helpline should have just arranged for a copy of the Statement Of Entitlement to have been sent out. Does your sister still have her last PIP decision letter? If so, the Statement Of Entitlement will be, or should be, part of that letter. The actual statement itself is usually two pages in length and is often found in the middle of, or at the back of, the decision letter.
  • elmer
    elmer Posts: 897
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    If there are already two adults living at your address, you mention us in your post, then your sister being disregarded as smi will not reduce your council tax bill as a full charge is based on two adult occupants.
  • Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,690
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 13 October 2023 at 4:21PM
    elmer said:
    If there are already two adults living at your address, you mention us in your post, then your sister being disregarded as smi will not reduce your council tax bill as a full charge is based on two adult occupants.
    Something I was going to mention and several times deleted as I figured they must've read the criteria and locally applied rules in the context of their household circumstances given their knowledge of the requirements... so I'm pleased someone else raised it as I was concerned it could be a flawed application. Do check Ferboz that the application has merit Re number of regular adults already resident... I presume you or partner? will become full time carer and therefore also an 'uncounted' adult. Getting the PIP SoE document otherwise could be useful anyway.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • elmer said:
    Could one (or both) potentially qualify for a reduction as a carer?  Then the SMI disregard would make a difference, I believe.
  • elmer said:
    Could one (or both) potentially qualify for a reduction as a carer?  Then the SMI disregard would make a difference, I believe.
    Yes, we have SMI disregard for our son and we are both counted as his carers so have 50% council tax discount.
  • Ferboz
    Ferboz Posts: 37
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Thank you all. I was informed by the Downs syndrome society of the potential discount. From what i can see on the application, it asks for how many adults over 18 are in the property ( inc my sister there will 3)..and also asks for our property reference. There is also a box asking who has the SMI. My husband is primary carer as i currently still work. I have just checked on the DSS website & it does say that there can still be a reduction eve if there are more than 2 adults. I have sent the form in now with her ESA entitlement as proof. But thank you all once gain for your replies :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback