Wrongly labelled online??

I purchased some designer trainers off an online reseller. They are a well known leather trainer brand and I was replacing a pair I already owned. I realised a week after buying & wearing they were polyurethane. Therefore a vegan - bio-based version the brand has just introduced. Looking at the listing nothing distinguished them as different to the leather version other than the upper material was omitted. The reseller says the listing is correct and I received what I bought. The actual upper composition isn't listed. They've tried to tell me that 100% fabric 100% rubber is correct but I've found the correct composition elsewhere and it isn't this. Uk sellers have specifically stated in the title Faux Leather, Vegan leather or Bio based. This company had no difference in the title to the leather version. The company will not help, I've escalated with Klarna but heard nothing yet. Also the brand has said they don't recognise this seller as an authorised reseller so can't confirm composition of their product!! Have I anyway of getting this refunded if Klarna also side with the reseller??

Comments

• user1977
    user1977 Posts: 13,340
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I don't think you can claim it's not as described, if they didn't describe it as being anything in particular.
  • Ozzig
    Ozzig Posts: 301
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Did the seller say they were leather anywhere in the ad?
  • Penguin_
    Penguin_ Posts: 1,191
    Forumite
    Is there a financial difference between the 2 trainers? 
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 13,656
    Forumite
    I purchased some designer trainers off an online reseller. They are a well known leather trainer brand and I was replacing a pair I already owned. I realised a week after buying & wearing they were polyurethane. Therefore a vegan - bio-based version the brand has just introduced. Looking at the listing nothing distinguished them as different to the leather version other than the upper material was omitted. The reseller says the listing is correct and I received what I bought. The actual upper composition isn't listed. They've tried to tell me that 100% fabric 100% rubber is correct but I've found the correct composition elsewhere and it isn't this. Uk sellers have specifically stated in the title Faux Leather, Vegan leather or Bio based. This company had no difference in the title to the leather version. The company will not help, I've escalated with Klarna but heard nothing yet. Also the brand has said they don't recognise this seller as an authorised reseller so can't confirm composition of their product!! Have I anyway of getting this refunded if Klarna also side with the reseller??
    Where is this retailer based?
    Link to site/purchase?

As that statement by brand has major alarm bells ringing.
    Life in the slow lane
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,637
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
     Uk sellers have specifically stated in the title Faux Leather, Vegan leather or Bio based. 

Presumably you did not buy from a UK company.

Were they cheaper than normal price?

• If they are a business (buying to resell) and based in the UK omitting material information is classed as misleading.

Whether the information in question is "material" or not is subjective until someone with authority (such as going via small claims) decides but not stating the material when there are several options that look the same could perhaps be.

How did you pay? 
  • tightauldgit
    tightauldgit Posts: 2,628
    Forumite
    First things first, are you sure they are a genuine product? May be worth doing some digging as it might be easier to enforce a refund on a counterfeit than on them not having described it properly.

Is this online seller an established, reputable UK based company? Or a random Chinese website? 

I think it's hard to say they aren't as described if they weren't described as leather. Whether it would amount to enough to be misleading to omit the information I think is questionable. 

If they are not a UK company I think to be honest you've got very little practical chance of enforcing anything so probably just beholden to whatever, if anything, they are willing to offer you. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback