Child tax credit now were separated.

Hi all
Now me and the ex are at different houses,  how can  we both claim?
We have 2 children and they stay equally at each others house. How do we apply with this is in my mind.

Shall we just put we have 1 child in the box of how many children we have?

Thanks

Comments

• marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,512
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    evosy1978 said:
    Hi all
    We have 2 children and they stay equally at each others house. How do we apply with this is in my mind.

Thanks
     You can't both claim for the children. Aside from the fact you can not start a new claim fir tax credits, it would have to be universal credit. 
    Only the main carer, usually the one who claims child benefit claims for the children can claim. 

• marcia_ said:
    evosy1978 said:
    Hi all

Thanks
     You can't both claim for the children. Aside from the fact you can not start a new claim fir tax credits, it would have to be universal credit. 
    Only the main carer, usually the one who claims child benefit claims for the children can claim. 
    This doesn't have to be the case (hence you said 'usually' but I just wanted to make it explicitly clear for the OP). 

But yes only one person can claim for each child.  If it's truly 50/50 then maybe each parent can claim for one of the children.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,649
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    You can claim child benefit for one child each. 
    If you are currently on a joint claim you will need to close it. You cannot make a new claim for tax credits now so each will need to claim UC is appropriate.
  • evosy1978
    evosy1978 Posts: 636
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    marcia_ said: h
    evosy1978 said:
    Hi all

Thanks
    Only the main carer, usually the one who claims child benefit claims for the children can claim. H
    Hi
    We are equal carers. 50/50.  

But yes I'm referring to UC.  We have not been claiming upto now. It would be a new claim each. We care for the kids equally.  So should we not put 1 child each to keep it simple for the claim?
  • marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,512
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 12 October 2023 at 4:00PM
    evosy1978 said:
    marcia_ said: h
    evosy1978 said:
    Hi all

Thanks
    Only the main carer, usually the one who claims child benefit claims for the children can claim. H
    Hi
    We are equal carers. 50/50.  

But yes I'm referring to UC.  We have not been claiming upto now. It would be a new claim each. We care for the kids equally.  So should we not put 1 child each to keep it simple for the claim?
      Are you going to claim child benefit for 1 chid each? 

It would make sense to do what you suggest. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback