ESA, Nearing State pension and carers allowance application.

anotherquestion
anotherquestion Posts: 351
First Anniversary First Post
Forumite
edited 6 October 2023 at 11:34PM in Benefits & tax credits
Hi folks,

I am nearing state pension age soon, currently on ESA Contribution based. We have a disabled child who gets high rates of DLA both components.

My partner currently gets carers credit only (no money as I currently get an adult addition for her on my ESA payment, which means she can't currently claim Carers Allowance.)

This will end when I reach state pension age. She will then put in a claim for Carers allowance.
So I have a few questions if that is ok.

1 Just wondering what start date she should put on application form, eg my 66th birthday, the date that my state pension starts from, as I take it, that is the date I will be no longer be receiving any more for her?

2 We are also being migrated soon from Child tax credits to UC, we would not be entitled because of savings over £16k but understand that is disregarded for one year (as advised in other thread on here by Newcad, thank you.) I understand that my partner's carers allowance payment if granted would be deducted from any UC transitional protection awarded, so with that, and the fact that we are currently paying back an overpayment of tax credits for last year (does make us wonder should we bother applying at all for UC when we get the migration letter) though we do realise the overpayment debt would still have to be paid back.

3 As ESA is paid in arrears does that mean that more than likely I will get a final payment after State pension birthday? I did get a letter from State pension saying that I will get a payment of State pension of about £200 about ten days after my birthday, so that I can be put on a regular cycle of four weeks payments. So the two payments may well cross with each other?

Thanks very much for any advice.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure