Can I return an item at the sellers expense

I've seen a set of car mats on ebay that i'm interested in but I'm not sure if they will fit so I've messaged the seller but they haven't replied so if I go ahead and buy them can I return them at the sellers expense if they don't fit.

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 71,909
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    edited 4 October 2023 at 8:52PM
    I've seen a set of car mats on ebay that i'm interested in but I'm not sure if they will fit so I've messaged the seller but they haven't replied so if I go ahead and buy them can I return them at the sellers expense if they don't fit.
    If the mats are advertised by a size or state that they will definitely fit your car and they don’t, then you can open a SNAD claim and seller will need to pay the return postage. If they are just generic car mats, not made for any particular car then no, you can only return them if buyer has returns enambled and it will be at your own cost.

If sizes aren’t shown it’s best to ask the seller before you buy, if you don’t get a response and the sizing isn’t shown in listing then don’t buy. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected] views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • baser999
    baser999 Posts: 1,086
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If after a few days the seller won’t reply to you I’d walk away, go elsewhere. If you needed to return the item ask yourself are you likely to see the money? 
  • soolin said:
    If the mats are advertised by a size or state that they will definitely fit your car and they don’t, then you can open a SNAD claim and seller will need to pay the return postage. If they are just generic car mats, not made for any particular car then no, you can only return them if buyer has returns enambled and it will be at your own cost.

If sizes aren’t shown it’s best to ask the seller before you buy, if you don’t get a response and the sizing isn’t shown in listing then don’t buy. 
    I've already bought a genuine set of mats for my car that said from 2017 but they are not designed for a hybrid car and the drivers mat doesn't look correct for my 2021 model. The mat set on ebay says 2017- but was removed from a new 2023 model but the drivers side mat looks more like the mat I need for my car.

• baser999 said:
    If after a few days the seller won’t reply to you I’d walk away, go elsewhere. If you needed to return the item ask yourself are you likely to see the money? 
    These mats are the only ones being sold on ebay and you cannot buy them from the main dealers
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,498
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    These mats are the only ones being sold on ebay and you cannot buy them from the main dealers
    It seems odd that you can't get a replacement set from a dealer for a 2021 model.

What does hybrid have to do with it?  I can't see how the footwell shape would change.

But as soolin said - check the advert carefully.   If the ad says "fits all Mk 3 Wotsits from 2017 to 2022"  then you have a reason to claim if it doesn't..  
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • baser999
    baser999 Posts: 1,086
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Alternatively buy from a reputable car mat supplier. 
  • tightauldgit
    tightauldgit Posts: 2,628
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Is this a business seller rather than just a private sale? 

Assuming so then you can return the items at the seller's expense if it's faulty or not as described (not simply because it doesn't fit) and should be able to return at your own expense if they are as described but not right for what you need. 
  • imalwaystired
    imalwaystired Posts: 182
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 5 October 2023 at 12:53PM
    NBLondon said:
    It seems odd that you can't get a replacement set from a dealer for a 2021 model.

What does hybrid have to do with it?  I can't see how the footwell shape would change.

But as soolin said - check the advert carefully.   If the ad says "fits all Mk 3 Wotsits from 2017 to 2022"  then you have a reason to claim if it doesn't..  
    Under the passenger seat there's a battery so the mat rests on it slightly. Then under the floor carpet you can see channels but the carpet mats just sits on them so making the carpets high. Here's  two pictures of car mats that say they are from 2017 onwards
  • If the seller states that they offer free returns, or if the seller states specifically that the mats will fit your car i.e. year, make, model and that it's a hybrid, then yes you can return at the sellers' cost. If the seller doesn't offer free returns or doesn't state that the mats will specifically fit your car, then no, you'd have to pay to return them.
    If it's a business seller, visit the listing on your desktop/laptop, scroll to the bottom of the page where it says "business seller information" and click "view contact details" to get their phone number. Then phone them and ask them about whether the mats will fit, the return arrangements and cost.
    If it isn't a business seller, they might not want to sell to you now that you've asked if returns are free!
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,498
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Under the passenger seat there's a battery so the mat rests on it slightly. Then under the floor carpet you can see channels but the carpet mats just sits on them so making the carpets high. Here's  two pictures of car mats that say they are from 2017 onwards
    OK - so the hybrid model has a different floor shape and you think the mat should accommodate that.    Not sure your pictures help as the two mats shown are different shapes and neither of them seem to match the floor picture.

But the previous question stands - does the ad say "Fits ALL Whatever from 2017 onwards"  or does it list the models that it does fit?  The seller may be unaware that the hybrid is different - or consider it to be a different model.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback