COL payment and Child Tax credits ending

Hi,
     I was wondering if anyone is in a similar position or knows if I'll get the upcoming COL payment? We qualified solely on receiving Child Tax Credits but our eligibility ended on the 31st August which is in the middle of the qualifying dates but we didn't get an actual payment into the bank during that time.

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,729
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    To be eligible for the Cost of Living Payment from DWP, you need to have been entitled to a payment for a qualifying benefit between 18 August 2023 and 17 September 2023, or payment for an assessment period, ending between these dates. From HMRC, you need to have received a payment of tax credits for any day in the period between 18 August 2023 and 17 September 2023.

• Gouryella
    Gouryella Posts: 37
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 2 October 2023 at 11:06PM
    So it doesn't matter what date the last payment was as long as it was for a period covering any day within those dates? Call me dense but I wasn't sure if it meant you had to have had literally a payment during those dates.
  • marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,505
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Gouryella said:
    So it doesn't matter what date the last payment was as long as it was for a period covering any day within those dates? Call me dense but I wasn't sure if it meant you had to have had literally a payment during those dates.
     You need to have received a payment during those dates 
  • c1403
    c1403 Posts: 37
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    What if your payments have been stopped because of an overpayment?
    We are entitled to a CTC payment for this current year but do not actually receive said payment as they are using it to pay back a small overpayment from previous years?

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,729
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    c1403 said:
    What if your payments have been stopped because of an overpayment?
    We are entitled to a CTC payment for this current year but do not actually receive said payment as they are using it to pay back a small overpayment from previous years?

The criteria is that "you must have received a payment" between the dates stated above. As you won't have received a payment then you won't be entitled.
  • Yamor
    Yamor Posts: 314
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 3 October 2023 at 1:21PM
    The law is clear that you need to receive a payment "for" (or "in respect of") a day in that period.

The guidance is explicit that this includes someone who later receives a payment for that period. In fact, HMRC recently paid out 2022 cost of living payments to people who hadn't originally received it, because they weren't getting tax credits at the time, but then got some tax credits later upon finalisation of their award.

The same concept should apply to someone who received their payment for a day in the relevant period before that period, but didn't actually receive it during that period because of a prior overpayment.
  • marcia_
    Forumite
    Yamor said:
    The law is clear that you need to receive a payment "for" (or "in respect of") a day in that period.

The guidance is explicit that this includes someone who later receives a payment for that period. In fact, HMRC recently paid out 2022 cost of living payments to people who hadn't originally received it, because they weren't getting tax credits at the time, but then got some tax credits later upon finalisation of their award.

The same concept should apply to someone who received their payment for a day in the relevant period before that period, but didn't actually receive it during that period because of a prior overpayment.
     Maybe it should but it doesn't
  • Gouryella
    Gouryella Posts: 37
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Yamor said:

Thanks everyone for the posts. Yamor, this is what I was confused about. We received a payment for an award that ends within the qualifying period but we won't be getting a literal payment within those dates. I'm really none the wiser.
  • Yamor
    Yamor Posts: 314
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    marcia_ said:
    Yamor said:

How do you know this? Any links?

As I mentioned, if you only get the payment later, then that is certainly enough…
  • marcia_
    Forumite
    Yamor said:
    marcia_ said:
    Yamor said:

How do you know this? Any links?

As I mentioned, if you only get the payment later, then that is certainly enough…
     As already posted above 

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/second-2023-to-2024-cost-of-living-payment-dates-announced
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback