Failed Car part

Hi I needs some advice on the follow 

About 16 months ago the transfer box on My BMW was replaced under the extended warranty that I’ve purchased the part would normally cost about £3000 of which  I paid a £100 excess. Since then the warranty has expired because I did not want to pay the increased premium. The part has now developed a fault and the BMW dealership is saying that any work done is chargeable. On Bmw‘s website it clearly states that every part has a two year warranty, but this doesn’t count in my case. So I am now wondering if I would be able to use the satisfactory quality part of the consumer goods act to get Bmw to pay for repairs

Comments

• It does sound rather unfair. I found a similar situation here: https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=72&t=954265
    I'd argue that as you had originally paid for some of the part that you should be covered in a similar vein as if you had paid for all of it. I'd push the agenda that they are lying about the parts warranty also. Try BMW customer services, if no result then I'd be all over their Facebook page.
    Is it an xdrive transfer box?
  • PHK
    PHK Posts: 1,141
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Do not accuse them of lying. That will only get their back up and is extremely poor advice.

This is going to come down to whether the extended warranty is an insurance? 
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 13,665
    Forumite
    Who supplied the extended warranty?
    Life in the slow lane
  • It was an insurance policy called insured bmw extended warranty 
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 13,665
    Forumite
    Has your car exceed 100K?
    Given
    On Bmw‘s website it clearly states that every part has a two year warranty, but this doesn’t count in my case.
    Life in the slow lane
  • It’s done 72k 
  • Did you read the Piston heads thread, it is the same scenario? That author won by challenging BMW UK, who state the two year guarantee on parts (he is a lawyer so a personal message to him may be productive) . 
    It is also worth bearing in mind the clause in the policy book;
    8. The quality of warranty repairs will be 
    the responsibility of the repairing 
    retailer.

You're going to need to be firm with this, a softly softly approach is going to be easily dismissed by the dealer (as is the status quo). Lean on BMW UK to apply pressure to the dealer, the line of attack must be the misleading statement of two years guarantee. This statement comes with no qualification so why cannot it not universally be applied, including in this situation? 
  • Yes I did have a look at piston heads. I might getting hold of the author if I draw a bank with bmw It’s with bmw complaints at the moment. The dealer and bmw have so far said no which I think is pretty poor but I suspect they do that in the hope that I will give up I dare say this is what they find with some people. I have said they need to relook at it again under the consumer rights legislation and in particular paying attention to the satisfactory quality and durability. It really is poor that that bmw behave like this the car has only done 70k it’s got a full main dealer service history and did I mention it’s had 2 replacement transfer boxes so far ! 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback