When to submit tax return

Hi, I started a small business in June 2023, self employed as well as a part time PAYE worker.
I take about £8K a year from my PAYE job and my business is currently taking about £500 a month.
When should I submit a tax return because I have read that October 5th is a deadline but I suspect that is for the year before?
Complete novice at self employment so any tips would be appreciated. 
Thanks.

Comments

• Normally by 31 January 2025.

But there is no benefit to delaying registration (assuming turnover had now exceeded £1,000) or leaving the return to the last minute.
  • You need to have informed HMRC by 5th October  following the tax year in which you started self-employment - 5th October 2024. 

Your first tax return will be for 2023/24 - to be submitted by 31st January 2025. 

• Ayr_Rage
    Ayr_Rage Posts: 823
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    You should register for an online account as soon as possible, then that's out of the way.

As the first tax year when you have both employments on the go will be 2023/24 you will file your return any time between 6th April 2024 and, at the latest, 31st January 2025.

You will need to pay any tax due by 31st January 2025, so once you have all the figures file as soon as you can, returns can easily be amended if you make a mistake.

• badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,517
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Remember filing promptly does not mean that you need to pay any earlier than the final date of 31/1/25.  But do not risk missing that date.  But if you file it nice & early you will have it confirmed early just what you owe.  Do not leave it all until Jan as the system is crazy by then.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback