Crunch time - end of cheap Sainsbury's fix

2»

Comments

• Bendo
    Bendo Posts: 291 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    My last day of my 2 year Sainsburys fix is today.

My switch to Octopus is tomorrow. Don't see why anyone would stick with a linear tariff in this day and age.
  • jonnypb
    jonnypb Posts: 317 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Bendo said:

My switch to Octopus is tomorrow. Don't see why anyone would stick with a linear tariff in this day and age.
    What tariff have you moved onto with Octopus?  The variable tariff for Octopus was coming in at £50 cheaper for the year than if I were to fix with Sainsbury's bases on the current energy prices.  But with the predicted rises in Q1 2024 and then Standing charge rises from Q2-Q4 2024 surely it would make sense to fix?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 25 October 2023 at 9:41PM
    Eldi_Dos said:
    the visiting engineer warned that there was an appreciable chance that the pilot light in the boiler (a 26 year old Mexico floor standing veritable tank of a machine) wouldn't be able to be restarted.

The use of the word engineer probably overstates the qualifications of the installer. Installers go through a training/qualification process that deems them competent to fit smart meters. My guess would be he looked at the boiler and took fright at the prospect of having to re-ignite a pilot light. 

Is it the installers job to re-ignite pilot lights, I would have assumed it was outwith their remit.
    I doubt it. There must be millions of old boilers in existence and as the gas supply has to be turned off when a smart meter is fitted the pilot lights will go out. A gas safety inspection is all part of the smart meter installation process.
  • Bendo
    jonnypb said:
    Bendo said:

What tariff have you moved onto with Octopus?  The variable tariff for Octopus was coming in at £50 cheaper for the year than if I were to fix with Sainsbury's bases on the current energy prices.  But with the predicted rises in Q1 2024 and then Standing charge rises from Q2-Q4 2024 surely it would make sense to fix?

SVR is the only option at switch but my plan is to move to tracker, although probably not until Jan in case pricing goes up significantly for periods.  There is a 9 month wait if you leave and want to rejoin tracker.

Need to run the numbers and see how my historic usage would have panned out with costs on Agile.
  • Alnat1
    Alnat1 Posts: 3,277 Forumite
    Bendo said:
    Need to run the numbers and see how my historic usage would have panned out with costs on Agile.
    Agile historic prices will not tell you anything about Agile future prices, the tariff is always a bit of a gamble. It's a lot more fun than than the SVT or a fix though (if you're a bit energy obsessed like me)
    Barnsley, South Yorkshire
    Solar PV 5.25kWp SW facing (14 x 375 Longi) Lux 3.6kw hybrid inverter and 4.8kw Pylontech battery storage installed March 22
    Octopus Agile/Fixed Outgoing and Tracker gas
  • Scot_39
    Scot_39 Posts: 1,816 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 4 October 2023 at 3:06PM
    It's a safety thing - as air gets into the pipes and the lose suply pressure - so gas devices - possibly especially those with pilot lights will be shut down.

Perhaps the engineer just asked the occupier present if they new how to restart their boiler - they are unlikely to be trained in every model.

Boiler pilot lights can consume 100s - some well over 1000 kWh of gas per year - and are generally on much lower efficiency models than a current modern e.g. condesning combi boiler - so it's probably not a bad thing to think about an efficiency upgrade - even at todays lower cf last winter EPG capped prices.

As to whether it's worth staying gas - thats increasingly for many not just about cash - but personal and govt eco policy choice - Harvie (and so Yousaf) and Sunak are increasingly openly apart on that one.

As to fixes - Siansburies appeard to be offering something similarly priced to Eon Loyalty v4 in the recent past.  That gave according to some about a 5% saving across both fuels cf July SVT. 

If your used to taking a fix for security - I'd probably say fix again.

But don't let the credit phase your decision - it will be returned fairly quickly - by bank credit if have an active DD with many suppliers often within few weeks of move.
  • Bendo
    Alnat1 said:
    Bendo said:
    Agile historic prices will not tell you anything about Agile future prices, the tariff is always a bit of a gamble. It's a lot more fun than than the SVT or a fix though (if you're a bit energy obsessed like me)
    No, but it gives some indication as to whether my usage is appropriate for agile given historic trends.

I'd not switch to Agile without appropriate monitoring in place so I'd set something up in HA to compare costs versus cap with alerts if agile is costing more.
  • daveaspy
    daveaspy Posts: 88 Forumite
    My Sainsburys 2yr fix also came to an end on the 1st Oct, switched to Flexible Octopus then immediately onto Agile for elec and Tracker for gas. My 27kWh of electricity yesterday (EV/washer/dryer/dishwasher) averaged 11.4p per kWh (I know it wont be that good every day)
  • artyboy
    artyboy Posts: 874 Forumite
    Well in the end I decided to go with Home Energy. Can't say it's a supplier I'm familiar with, but I've sailed close to the wind with the little players in the past and it's always worked out well in the end, even when SoLR has been invoked.

Besides, if I'm going to be on SVT, it's not like it ought to make much difference from one supplier to the next, so if Home Energy really can knock 5% off versus Sainsburys Energy then I'll happily take the £25/month saving. Plus I'll get my £600ish credit back after the switch...

🤞🤞🤞
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure