Deeme1099
Deeme1099 Posts: 36
First Post First Anniversary
Forumite
edited 10 November 2023 at 4:20PM in Motoring
..... solved

Comments

• Hu?                        

Guessing you are saying that you privately settled a claim and now there is an insurance claim happening for the same incident?

As long as the heads of claim aren't the same then no, it's not fraud. Eg if you paid for the repairs but then they took a credit hire car during the repairs that's two separate things 
  • Paid for polish of wheels. But been told by insurance he want them fixed on insurance too?
  • May need to use a lot more words to say what's going on

If you dont want to then simply provide evidence to your insurers that you settled any claim for the wheels and let them defend the claim
  • facade
    facade Posts: 6,899
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Tell your insurer what you paid him and show them proof, like the receipt, what it was for.
    Then it is up to them whether they treat his claim as fraudulent, reduce it by what you already paid (they ought to then refund you) or pay out in full.

I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 13,297
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Whoever you're talking about doesn't get the same money twice.
  • facade said:
    Tell your insurer what you paid him and show them proof, like the receipt, what it was for.
    Then it is up to them whether they treat his claim as fraudulent, reduce it by what you already paid (they ought to then refund you) or pay out in full.

If they pay in full how would I collect my money back?.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 6,899
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 26 September 2023 at 10:25PM
    Deeme1099 said:
    facade said:

If they pay in full how would I collect my money back?.

He can't be paid twice for the same loss. If you paid him £100 but it actually cost £1000 (maybe he had no choice but to hire a car for the month it took to polish the wheels, or even the wheels were damaged and couldn't safely be polished so he had to replace them) , then he can claim for the £900 he is short.

If he produces receipts for the full £1000 your insurer should only pay him £900. As the claim cost £1000 you ought to be refunded by your insurer, but they may regard your payment as a contribution to the cost because you are a generous person (and only increase your premium by £299.99 because the pay out was £900 rather than the £300 that the £1000 claim would have caused).

I don't know how to get your refund in this case though.

If the insurer pays the full £1000 which means he had the £100 twice, then I suppose you would follow the small claims route against him for your £100 back - start with a letter before action asking for it back because he has been paid £100 of hiss losses twice.

I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • I checked his name online and it show that his business is in liquidation would this show he is in a poor financial situation?
  • Technical he was at fault for the accident because he was at a roundabout singling left but went straight ahead . 2 left turns before he got to me at the junction and clipped my number plate the way his alloys are shaped curved. I was waiting for the car on my left to go pass and if he had gone left I would of had enough time to go right but he missed both turns to left and went straight sneaky pass me but clipping the alloys on to my number plate. I took picture it cost me only to replace a number plate and few scruff on my car. I was travelling 0to1mph. He had paint come off his alloys. He told me not to do anything until the next day but I reported the incident to my insurance after he left.

He told me the next day to pay for his alloy polish as his excess is 500. If I pay that's it as his excess and insurance is high . My no claims is protected. He blamed me and said he get a solicator involved and claim for everything. He has put a whiplash claim for this I took picture of his alloys I told my insurance to inspect my car he took money from me and now put a claim including whiplash.
  • He came with me to side road which has cctv. He also came near my house as I didn't have my driving license on me at the time I had to go in to collect it to show him. 

I have anxiety I took pictures of everything but I didn't get his registration number I text him after 25mins after the accident to provide me with his registration number he has not answered my text about it and when I rang him after paying after a few days he said you need to ask his solicator to give me his registration number?. I told this to my insurers. I was lucky because he 1st wanted Me to pay him cash and meet at a boxing club??? I told him I can do bank transfer I got the text from him with his details.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback