Use Original V5C after retention

c0l
c0l Posts: 10
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
We purchased a personal registration soon after buying our current car. We are about to sell it and I have organised retention. I've swapped the plates back to the original ones and I still have the V5C for the original registration. I'm wondering if that might be OK for the garage when we p/x it?  I'm guessing not.....

Comments

• Wonka_2
    Wonka_2 Posts: 610
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    c0l said:
    We purchased a personal registration soon after buying our current car. We are about to sell it and I have organised retention. I've swapped the plates back to the original ones and I still have the V5C for the original registration. I'm wondering if that might be OK for the garage when we p/x it?  I'm guessing not.....
    Unless a trader comes along who knows a loophole you're guessing right - the reference numbers on the V5C's will be different so any online transactions that need this won't work.

If it's a dealer group that you're PX'ing to they might have a process for this given it'll take a few days to get the car through their system, if it's a smaller place that wants rid of it this weekend that'll cause them an issue.

If you've done the transfer online the receipt of the new V5C can be very quick (my last one was done on a Sat and received the V5C on Weds)
  • c0l
    c0l Posts: 10
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I did the transfer online last Friday 22nd and we're hoping to do the p/x next Monday 2nd October. Hopefully it'll be here in time 🤞
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 13,652
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Did mine a month ago. Monday morning, V5 arrived in Thursday post
    Life in the slow lane
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts