Probate how long (part 2)

Thanks for all the replies to my previous post.  Well, our application needed a bit more info, that's gone in today, anyone know what happens now? Guess we go to back of the queue.  Just as you think you're getting somewhere....

Comments

• Dave_5150
    Dave_5150 Posts: 246
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 26 September 2023 at 2:32PM
    That was my certainly experience. 

When I applied GOV.UK stated online applications were taking up to eight weeks. HMCTS asked a simple question at week five which I answered minutes later. And probate was granted another eight weeks later.

Whenever I called or had a web chat they always noted it had not been eight weeks yet as the period started from the date their query was resolved. 
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,020
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    You might want to listen (or possibly not!) to last Saturday's edition of Radio 4's MoneyBox. That gave some pretty unwelcome statistics/informed opinions.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Marcon said:
    You might want to listen (or possibly not!) to last Saturday's edition of Radio 4's MoneyBox. That gave some pretty unwelcome statistics/informed opinions.
    I will try to find that (yes, I was looking for real life experiences and obviously have googled first 🤷‍♀️🤔) thanks anyway 
  • For my late mother’s probate earlier this year, I submitted online on April 18th. June 16th I received an email from the Probate Registry saying the application could not proceed as they did not have form IHT 421.  This was a surprise as all IHT due had been paid by end of April.  I never received a clear answer from the IHT people but somehow that form was never sent from the IHT team to Probate Registry even though everything was signed off in early May.  IHT421 was sent May 21st and on August 1st I received an email confirming that the Probate application was approved, with the sealed copies arriving 4 days later.  All in all, 15 weeks from submission, but I suspect it would have been 8 weeks if IHT 421 had been sent on time.  Luckily the purchasers for the house were prepared to wait and there was no chain in either direction.  I know they tell you not to but I did call the Probate Registry after the form was supposed to have been sent, to check they actually had everything they needed for the application to proceed.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback