Car insurance - perfect time to check prices doesn't work?

Hi,
I ran the MS car insurance checker over the weekend and it told me l was a few days too early to get the best price. The price l was offered on Sunday was £750.22. I checked again this morning by refreshing the quote that had expired, and was offered £790.39.
What is going on? 
How can l recheck the quote without running up against their algorithm?

Comments

• facade
    facade Posts: 6,910
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Insurance prices are volatile at the moment, but the general trend is up on a daily basis.

This is actually A Good Thing at the moment, as it is increasing CPI, we need to maximise it this month as "They" will be using it to set the pension increase..
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • Nobbie1967
    Nobbie1967 Posts: 1,448
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    facade said:
    Insurance prices are volatile at the moment, but the general trend is up on a daily basis.

This is actually A Good Thing at the moment, as it is increasing CPI, we need to maximise it this month as "They" will be using it to set the pension increase..
    It’s not a good thing since no matter what month the increase in prices takes effect, it is included in the CPI figure which is a year on year increase in prices. It’s why on the news they often explain a drop in inflation due to large increases in some item a year ago dropping out of the calculation, I.e any one off price increase stays in the CPI figure for a year.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 6,910
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 26 September 2023 at 8:03AM
    facade said:

It’s not a good thing since no matter what month the increase in prices takes effect, it is included in the CPI figure which is a year on year increase in prices. It’s why on the news they often explain a drop in inflation due to large increases in some item a year ago dropping out of the calculation, I.e any one off price increase stays in the CPI figure for a year.

Agreed, but we need the increases, if we must have them,  to count this year, next year Sunak might have got prices to increase less overall (as is the stated intent) and it will be averaged out not in. (CPI uses the geometric mean which is biased towards smaller numbers)

Every little helps, as they say on TV :)
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 13,709
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Here's a idea.
    ML say's x days before is best time before renewal to get the cheapest price. What would you do if you were a insurance company...

Yep, you guessed right 🤣

Me cynical, never 🤣
    Life in the slow lane
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family