Double payment taken, refund not forthcoming

Hi there
I'm an ex-Bulb customer for duel fuel that was passed on to Octopus. In the middle of last month I changed my payment date from the 1st of the month to the 4th. On the 1st, Octopus took the payment (over £350) and then they took it again on the 4th. I emailed the next day asking them to refund. Initially, they said I had to put an indemnity claim in to my bank, which I refused to do since it was their error and I asked immediately for a refund. They said they would do this within 10 days.

That time has passed and no refund has arrived, so I emailed today and was told that the refund has not been issued because they don't have an up to date meter reading! They didn't bother to inform me of this and I have been left hanging with a huge hole in my bank account. If I supply the meter reading, I'm pretty sure they will start their 10 day processing time again. Do I have any recourse at all? Is there anything I can do to help myself here, or am I just at the mercy of a large company that just don't care.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• user1977
    user1977 Posts: 13,253
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 20 September 2023 at 3:11PM
    If it was a direct debit payment, why not just ask your bank to reverse it? Not sure why you want to make life more difficult by refusing to do that.
  • la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,630
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Another vote for the above, swallow your pride and just ask your bank to do it.
  • From something a friend said, I had understood that it would be the bank's 'loss' and that didn't seem fair when it was a simple error that could be refunded straight away. Thank you for the advice, I will follow that course of action.
  • la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,630
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 20 September 2023 at 4:58PM
    No, the bank incurs no loss.

I would still give a meter reading anyway,  good practice to give them regularly. 
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 13,520
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    RoPey_2 said:
    From something a friend said, I had understood that it would be the bank's 'loss' and that didn't seem fair when it was a simple error that could be refunded straight away. Thank you for the advice, I will follow that course of action.
    Bank claims the money back from Octopus.

Bank lose money.... Never 🤣
    Life in the slow lane
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.4K Travel & Transport