NOW LIVE: The Forum 'Ask An Expert' event. The theme is ENERGY. Please post your questions on bills, switches, alternative fuels etc. Our expert MSE Andrew will answer as many as possible

‘New’ used car

NikChik84
NikChik84 Forumite Posts: 11
Sixth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 17 September at 10:57PM in Consumer rights
Hi

i purchased a new car yesterday through a well known company. Drove 95 miles to get home with it. Noticed when I got close to my home that there is a clicking noise when turning the steering wheel almost all the way round to the right, like a clunk. My partner has had a look and said it might be the CV boot or the like. 

Where do I stand with this and the company that I got it from? 

I part exchanged my previous car and took £9500 in finance. It’s an electric Kia Niro. I test drove it but didn’t notice anything then. But I was unfamiliar. 

Comments

• Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Forumite Posts: 13,189
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    NikChik84 said:
    Hi

i purchased a new car yesterday through a well known company. Drove 95 miles to get home with it. Noticed when I got close to my home that there is a clicking noise when turning the steering wheel almost all the way round to the right, like a clunk. My partner has had a look and said it might be the CV boot or the like. 

I part exchanged my previous car and took £9500 in finance. It’s an electric Kia Niro. I test drove it but didn’t notice anything then. But I was unfamiliar. 
    The first thing is to contact the supplying Dealer and allow them to comment.

Was it purchased from a Kia franchise and is it part of an approved used scheme?
  • NikChik84
    Forumite
    NikChik84 said:
    Hi

The first thing is to contact the supplying Dealer and allow them to comment.

Was it purchased from a Kia franchise and is it part of an approved used scheme?
    I tried to call today but they didn’t call me back. I assume it is an approved supplier. They are Arnold Clark so quite a large used car company. 
  • Lavendyr
    Lavendyr Forumite Posts: 2,523
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'm confused, is it new or is it used? 

Did you buy it from a main dealership or an independent garage?

What condition was it sold as being in? When was its last MOT? Does it have a warranty from the garage?
  • NikChik84
    Forumite
    Lavendyr said:
    I'm confused, is it new or is it used? 

Did you buy it from a main dealership or an independent garage?

What condition was it sold as being in? When was its last MOT? Does it have a warranty from the garage?
    Hi

its a used electric car, that is new to me. Arnold Clark are the dealer. It had a service and mot but I didn’t get any paperwork for this so need to ask them for that. It was the first MOT as it’s a 2020 plate. 7 year warranty from Kia but I didn’t buy warranty from dealer for this reason. 
  • born_again
    born_again Forumite Posts: 11,698
    10,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Kia warranty relies on the car being serviced every 12 months or 10,000 miles which every is 1st. As well as the service book being stamped. No central database. So book is a must. Or you will find no warranty.

AC have a few other non complementary names. 

1st off let them have a look at it, or you could take it to a local Kia dealer (expect a couple of weeks to get in) to see what they say.

What sort of mileage is it?
    Life in the slow lane
  • NikChik84
    Forumite
    Kia warranty relies on the car being serviced every 12 months or 10,000 miles which every is 1st. As well as the service book being stamped. No central database. So book is a must. Or you will find no warranty.

1st off let them have a look at it, or you could take it to a local Kia dealer (expect a couple of weeks to get in) to see what they say.

22k so not massive. 

I would have gone to them but they are 95 miles away from me. They did suggest a KIA garage though due to the warranty. I have 2 Kia service docs but still need AC to provide the one they did a few weeks ago then that will be FSH. 

I did contact a local Kia who said they will charge an initial diagnostics fee and then if it is a warranty issue then they will resolve it. The car hasn’t been involved in any incidents either. 
  • photome
    photome Forumite Posts: 16,222
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    NikChik84 said:

22k so not massive. 

I would have gone to them but they are 95 miles away from me. They did suggest a KIA garage though due to the warranty. I have 2 Kia service docs but still need AC to provide the one they did a few weeks ago then that will be FSH. 

I did contact a local Kia who said they will charge an initial diagnostics fee and then if it is a warranty issue then they will resolve it. The car hasn’t been involved in any incidents either. 
    NikChik84 said:

22k so not massive. 

NikChik84 said:

22k so not massive. 

Let the Kia garage look at it. The diagnostics won’t be too much , under £100 I would think. You shouldn’t have to pay it if they find it is warranty work

if it’s not warranty work it may be good to get AC to agree to pay for the repairs and cover the diagnostic fee although good luck with that

they are not called Arnold Shark for nothing

also what have they said about the third service and when will the stamp the book assuming you have the service book

• born_again
    born_again Forumite Posts: 11,698
    10,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    NikChik84 said:

22k so not massive. 

Depending on just when it was registered in 2020 it may need 3 stamps. If it's over a month late from registration date Kia can & will decline warranty claims.
    Better hope that A/C provide a full invoice listing ALL Kia parts No's used. Also 3rd is a coolant change & expensive service.
    Life in the slow lane
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 338.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 248.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 447.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 230.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 600.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171K Life & Family
  • 244K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure