ULEZ Scrappage Scheme - how long does one need to keep a car insurance policy alive?

The ULEZ car scrappage scheme requires that the car be insured. When I applied to the scheme last week I included proof of the insurance in the application.

However, the car is old, it's off the road, it's too costly to run it in the zone and I intend to scrap it. Therefore I no longer need insurance for any legal reasons.

The question is: Would it harm the ULEZ scrappage application if I were to cancel the car insurance before they have completed their assessment?

I cannot find anything about this on their website.

They can see that the car had insurance but I wondered if they require the insurance to be maintained until they complete their checks. It may make a significant difference to my costs - which is why I thought of asking here.

Anyone know?

James

Comments

• I am in the same position but keeping it insured until I have notification all is OK and been approved for the scheme. I would hate to cancel it and lose out on the £2000 just because of a few days.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    How does the scene work: do they collect, or do you have to drive to the scrappie?

if you do decide to cancel, you’ll need to SORN the car.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback