Tax Relief for Higher Rate Taxpayers

Am I correct in believing that as a higher rate taxpayer (40%), if I contribute £32K to my pension, the government will add £8K, and I can then claim back a further £8K via my tax return?

If so, must I wait until the next tax year to claim back the £8K or can this be claimed in the same year as the contributions are made?

Thanks for your help. 


Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 338.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 248.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 447.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 230.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 601K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171.1K Life & Family
  • 244.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards