Travelling from France and need to hire a car in the UK

Glad
Glad Posts: 18,864 Senior Ambassador
Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
My daughter is coming to the UK for a visit later this year, flying to Manchester and needs to hire a car, or small van, to get around in. She is wondering if it would be cheaper to hire from the UK, eg I hired and paid for it. Has anyone had experience of this?
I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,264 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    What's the alternative to hiring from the UK?

• A couple of things occur to me.
    Firstly, most (not necessarily all) hire companies prefer the hirer to pay with their own credit card, so that they can charge it later if there's any damage or whatever.  But if your daughter pays herself then the exchange rate will have an impact on what it actually costs her - as well as any foreign exchange fees her card provider may charge (assuming she's got a French credit card and will need to pay in Sterling).
    Also, assuming she has a French driving licence, worth checking that the hire company will be OK with that.  I can't see any reason why not, to be honest, it's not exactly an unusual situation.
    I can't see any reason why the price would be any different whether you book it from France or from here - other than, as mentioned, the exchange rate factor.  If the car hire costs, say £200, that may equate to 230 Euros or 250 Euros or something else, depending on the exchange rate at the time.
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,861 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Isn't the simplest way for the OP to do a trial price check using their own details and then for the daughter to look online from France and see how the rates compare?
    If the rates are similar then it's probably simplest for the daughter to simply do the booking fully in her details with her payment card etc.
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,988 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    We have done this in reverse, hired a car in France after flying in.  Airport car hire companies are very expensive so we would get a taxi to one of the supermarkets that hires cars, we had to book well in advance and use a French cheque for the deposit paying for the hire with a UK credit card.
    Best to ask locally and maybe you will have to pay with your UK bank transfer.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback