PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

FTB Question -estate agents good books?

I’m a FTB and just got a big deposit and so I’ve begun looking in earnest. Not much out there, and so I am going to meet all local estate agents in the local area.

To show I’m serious I will be clear I have:
-the deposit and MIP ready to go
-clear about the property I want (budget/location etc)
-lots of availability to view at short notice.
-no chain 

I’ll follow up all the above with an email.

Is there anything else I should tell them/not tell them?

TIA!

Comments

• MultiFuelBurner
    MultiFuelBurner Forumite Posts: 1,303
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    If you have specific properties in mind the note through the door has worked for others.
  • lika_86
    lika_86 Forumite Posts: 1,632
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I’m a FTB and just got a big deposit and so I’ve begun looking in earnest. Not much out there, and so I am going to meet all local estate agents in the local area.

To show I’m serious I will be clear I have:
    -the deposit and MIP ready to go
    -clear about the property I want (budget/location etc)
    -lots of availability to view at short notice.
    -no chain 

I’ll follow up all the above with an email.

Is there anything else I should tell them/not tell them?

TIA!
    What do you think you have to gain from this? In my experience, few agents in the UK actually have a decent system for sending specific properties to buyers where they meet their criteria. You may as well just be ready when properties come to market.
  • Grizebeck
    Grizebeck Forumite Posts: 2,302
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    note through the door does work
    Registering with an agent is a waste of time
    Advocate in the County Court dealing with a variety of cases, attending the courts in the North East and North Yorkshire
  • propertyrental
    propertyrental Forumite Posts: 1,676
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Grizebeck said:
    note through the door does work
    Registering with an agent is a waste of time
    When I was buying my first property some decades ago, registering with multiple agents was essential.

Nowadays? Pointless.

Contact the relevant agent as soon as a property you like appears on Zoopla, Rightmove or wherever.
  • PartyOfFive
    PartyOfFive Forumite Posts: 62
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Depends on the agent whether any of the above is pointless or not.

I used Savills to sell my central London property back in March.
    Day after the contract was signed, I had 15 viewings lined up from people already on their books that were looking for exactly my type of property (2 bed, first floor, Victorian conversion).  10 offers above guide price within 5 days. The listing didn’t even make it to their website or rightmove/zoopla etc.

Now, of course London is a different market etc, and Savills is what some may call a top tier agency…but you lose nothing by taking the approach in the OP.

I can only imagine that by not immediately putting it on rightmove, the ea saved themselves a bit of marketing cost which ultimately meant more commission to them which I don’t begrudge.

The house I purchased outside of London also didn’t make it to rightmove or the open market. For privacy reasons, the sellers didn’t want it on there - I only found out about it while making an enquiry on another house the same ea had on their books (which was on RM).

It would surprise many just how many house sales happen without them ever being advertised openly.

I think the OP is being very savvy!
  • lookstraightahead
    lookstraightahead Forumite Posts: 5,468
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I think you're holding agents in quite high esteem. You are the customer, so be nice but say what you want to see when they come on to the market.
    Agents will be chasing you because the market has changed. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 339K Banking & Borrowing
  • 248.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 447.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 230.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 601.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171.1K Life & Family
  • 244.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback