Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

New roof or just repair

I want to sell and move areas as soon as possible to be closer to a nursery and work. It’s an old house and it could do with a new roof really, the alternative is just to fix a few tiles and a small leak that has occured due to that. Financially is it better to pay for a new roof (10-13k last quote a while ago so could be more now) or just fix the broken tiles and reflect it in the house price (or don’t but expect buyers to say eg 10k under due to it). 

Has anyone had any experience with this? 


  • anselld
    anselld Forumite Posts: 8,151
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Broken tiles should be fixed straight away regardless.
    You have not really said what makes you think you need a whole new roof but if selling and repairs have been fixed I would leave that decision to the buyers personally.
  • Grizebeck
    Grizebeck Forumite Posts: 2,223
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Put up a photo of the roof
    Certainly wouldn't replace if selling 
    Advocate in the County Court dealing with a variety of cases, attending the courts in the North East and North Yorkshire
  • Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Forumite Posts: 686
    500 Posts Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 26 August at 10:16AM
    You can expect buyers to ask for at least £20k off, not £10k, if the last quote was 'a while ago.' However,  it's unlikely to be worth the wait and your time to get this work done, beyond stopping the current leaks. I'd price attractively rather than low, and then be prepared to come down when surveyors tell their clients the recent repairs won't hold things for long.
    No science should be censored; otherwise our civilisation is no better than when we conducted witch hunts, or sentenced great minds to death or imprisonment.

  • Blue_bell_20
    Blue_bell_20 Forumite Posts: 155
    Third Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    We definitely plan to repair the few tiles immediately, just waiting on someone getting back to us for that. 

    When we first moved here two years ago the survey said it needed a new roof (although the survey was over the top about everything) we got quotes and saved up the amount. It isn’t in a dire shape, it’s just a really old house with stone tiles, the main point was to do with ventilation in the roof more than any leaks or obvious broken tiles etc. The minor leak only started a few weeks ago for the first time. With there being no major issues at the time we focused on other points to fix first such as the electrics. We did see this being a long term house but our situation and needs have since changed. 
  • Blue_bell_20
    Blue_bell_20 Forumite Posts: 155
    Third Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Thankyou, it sounds like saving the money we have and putting it towards the next house (and expecting lower offers) would be a good option to go with.  
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 338.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 248.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 447.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 230.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 600.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171K Life & Family
  • 243.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards