NOW LIVE: The Forum 'Ask An Expert' event. The theme is ENERGY. Please post your questions on bills, switches, alternative fuels etc. Our expert MSE Andrew will answer as many as possible

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Neighbour Dipute - what to declare?

Hi we are after some advice regarding what to declare in regards to neighbour disputes when selling and if anyone else has experience of this. Our property isnt on the market yet but we want to move. Our neighbour is an assured tenant. We reported our neighbour to the council in regards to noise a few months ago (loud music - there was no action, he wasnt contacted by them and he has since stopped so its resolved). Unfortunately last week we had to contact the police and he was arrested. In the 2.5 years we have lived here we have actually only spoken to him twice and did not even know his name. He has been released on bail with conditions (not to contact us or come on our property etc). We are awaiting for CPS charging decision so in limbo at the moment but in a nutshell its related to public disorder, posession of a bladed article and physical assault on my husband. The owner of the property is a private owner so it is not a council rented property. I am assuming once charged and if convicted the owners have every right to be made aware as it would be breaching their tenancy agreement so they could take action to remove them if wanting to (the owners live far away and we do not know them). We want to sell at some point but am massively stressing if this will make our property 'unsellable' with him next door. Thank you for any advice/comments x

Comments

• CSI_Yorkshire
    CSI_Yorkshire Forumite Posts: 1,792
    1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I think a report to the council followed by a physical assault and arrest (with a de facto restraining order added) counts as a 'dispute'.
  • MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Forumite Posts: 7,235
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 22 August at 9:52AM
    We want to sell at some point but am massively stressing if this will make our property 'unsellable' with him next door. Thank you for any advice/comments x
    If he attacked someone and had/used a knife/bladed article he will almost certainly get prison time, so will not be living next door, but at His Majesty's pleasure. 
  • user1977
    user1977 Forumite Posts: 11,724
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    What were the circumstances around the assault? There's a difference between a dispute concerning a neighbouring property and something involving an individual who happens to be a neighbour.
  • spalding1986
    spalding1986 Forumite Posts: 7
    First Post
    He will shout out at noise made by our children (who are 3 and 5 and we are talking about normal domestic noise and them playing in the garden after school), he'll shout at neighbouring children playing in their gardens and we've even heard him shout out at other neighbours chatting on the public footpath. Our complaint to the council was unbearably loud music he would play in response to noise from us or other neighbours. He's been gradually getting worse but then what kicked off the incident was my husband literally coming home with the kids from a day at the zoo. Thats it. He opened his front door as soon as my husband got out the car and verbally abused my husband and 5 year old. His language was vile. 10 minutes later came round onto our property and started with the verbal abuse again and then started to physically assault my husband. He had brought round with him a kitchen chopping knife which thank god fell out of his pocket after he fell over -he is around 65 years old. We had a witness to the whole incident, our neighbour on the other side of us was outside and saw the whole thing. He then threatened him too so his bail conditions extend to him as well. We are awaiting CPS charging decision. As an assured tenant though we believe it'll be down to the owners to enforce any eviction if/when charged but how they get notified about it all we are unsure of. There has been no dispute over anything, as mentioned previously we didnt even know his name as there has never been an introduction or conversation. 
  • spalding1986
    First Post
    How much detail would potential buyers need to be made aware of? We know that it'll probably be the right thing to wait until the outcome of his arrest/charge but its absolutely awful living like this now. We've put up CCTV, as have other neighbours too
  • user1977
    Forumite
    Ok, that's a dispute which would need declared. I expect any buyer would ask you if they need more detail. Your solicitor can advise at the time anyway.
  • spalding1986
    First Post
    Do you have to declare to estate agents or just following an offer?
  • user1977
    Forumite
    Not sure whether there's any argument that you have to disclose it upfront to buyers, but it might make sense to ensure they're aware, rather than leave it to the solicitor enquiries and then have them pull out weeks/months into the process.
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Forumite Posts: 14,029
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    The truth..  
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Forumite Posts: 11,174
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Yu will need to disclose it, your solicitor will be able to advice abut how much detail to go into.

As far as I am aware, there is no reason you cannot contact the landlord yourself to report it - it is not something that the police ot courts would do at any point.

If you don't know who the landlord is then you can download the  deeds from the land registry which should show the owner's details, although of course the address may show as the address of the property 
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 338.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 248.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 447.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 230.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 600.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171K Life & Family
  • 244K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback