VAT Relief for Disabled Person on Roof Repair over Washroom

We have a roof problem which with the VAT is over £4000, but my husband is disabled (Spina Bifida) and the roof leak is over his washroom/wetroom.  

VAT Notice 701/7 (about VAT Relief for Disabled) is not absolutely clear whether a roof repair over a washroom for a chronically disabled person can be zero-rated?

My husband is definitely classed as chronically disabled.  The ceiling of the wetroom/washroom has a roof leak, and the roof requires repair (felt and battening) - is this classed as restoration/repair building work for a disabled washroom and therefore zero-rated?  It would save us over £600 and we are on a low income, we've taken out a loan to cover the cost of this, which must be paid by next July if we're to avoid high interest charges. 

Comments

• Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Forumite Posts: 6,781
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 21 August at 3:34PM
    I would doubt it, as roof/ceiling repair is not something specifically for disabled people's use.  Whereas something like actually installing the wetroom or a ramp for an outside door would be VAT exempt.

I can't see that it's covered by any of the sections here https://www.gov.uk/guidance/vat-relief-on-certain-building-work-if-you-have-a-disability   Although this is just my opiniom and interpretation of what's written, so as always if any of the more knowledgeable members know to the contrary, I defer to them.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Forumite Posts: 7,112
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I had an issue about whether an item I bought was eligible for VAT relief.  I emailed the VAT office to get a definitive answer and they responded in about 4 days.  
  • Newcad
    Newcad Forumite Posts: 487
    100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 21 August at 5:03PM
    I'm also unsure, but would tend toward it being exempt as a repair to a disabled persons washroom (no matter who else may also use it).
    If you ask/apply for the VAT exemption the worst that can happen is they refuse.
  • KendalCake
    KendalCake Forumite Posts: 4
    First Post
    I had an issue about whether an item I bought was eligible for VAT relief.  I emailed the VAT office to get a definitive answer and they responded in about 4 days.  
    Thank you, this would be perfect - I tried to do chat online but it didn't recognise my answer.  It seemed to be only for VAT registered traders, and it says on the website not to ring unless it's urgent, and I can't find an email address!   

Was it a general email address?
  • KendalCake
    First Post
    ....ah just found the email address and phone number, was looking under wrong section on HMRC website. 
  • KendalCake
    First Post
    Just sent an enquiry using the online form, thank you for this.  Will take up to 15 days to get a reply.  Thank you. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 338.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 248.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 447.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 230.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 600.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171.1K Life & Family
  • 244K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback