Deleted

Comments

• Good enough reputation but there are plenty of more spacious competitive rivals available ( especially for leg room). And personally I would not consider a car of that age, especially with 126k miles of baggage around its neck. Good luck with whatever replacement car you buy.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,457 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    The 2wd version does 42mpg according to honest john
  • Goudy
    Goudy Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Car_54 said:
    daveyjp said:
    Its a 12 year old car whuch won't last forever.  After doing ususal visiual checks, MOT history checks etc at that age and mileage three things in particular I'd be asking about.

When was the cambelt last changed.
    When was the clutch last changed.
    Has the DPF been changed.

If any of the above have not been changed bid accordingly.
    Does a Zetec engine have a DPF?
    It's not a Zetec engine, it's Zetec trim.

Years ago Ford did do a range of Zetec petrol engines but decided they liked the word so much they introduced it as a trim level in 1998.

This engine is a PSA engine that Ford rebadged as a 2.0 TDCi Duratorq.

It's a major step up from Fords Puma "Suradorq" engine that preceded it but it can still suffer common diesel engine maladies, like Dual Mass Flywheel/Clutch problems, EGR valve issues and a fair few turbo problems (I think it's a twin scroll turbo on this engine). 

They are noted for fuel leaks from injector return pipe seals and the gearbox driveshaft seals can leak.

All first gen Kugas can suffer some electrical glitches.
    Moisture in the fuse box from condensation of the air con pipework above is quite common and they have a tendency to blow bulbs a lot due to a supply voltage problem.
  • SieIso
    SieIso Posts: 148 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Goudy said:
    Car_54 said:
    daveyjp said:
    Its a 12 year old car whuch won't last forever.  After doing ususal visiual checks, MOT history checks etc at that age and mileage three things in particular I'd be asking about.

When was the cambelt last changed.
    When was the clutch last changed.
    Has the DPF been changed.

If any of the above have not been changed bid accordingly.
    Does a Zetec engine have a DPF?
    It's not a Zetec engine, it's Zetec trim.

Years ago Ford did do a range of Zetec petrol engines but decided they liked the word so much they introduced it as a trim level in 1998.

This engine is a PSA engine that Ford rebadged as a 2.0 TDCi Duratorq.

It's a major step up from Fords Puma "Suradorq" engine that preceded it but it can still suffer common diesel engine maladies, like Dual Mass Flywheel/Clutch problems, EGR valve issues and a fair few turbo problems (I think it's a twin scroll turbo on this engine). 

They are noted for fuel leaks from injector return pipe seals and the gearbox driveshaft seals can leak.

All first gen Kugas can suffer some electrical glitches.
    Moisture in the fuse box from condensation of the air con pipework above is quite common and they have a tendency to blow bulbs a lot due to a supply voltage problem.
    Thanks, that's a long list of issues that concerns me. 
  • Goudy
    Goudy Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Every used car has a long list of concerns, if they didn't no one would buy new.

Trick is trying to pick a make/model with the least and hopefully a car that has had some of them addressed already.

The Kuga isn't a bad car, not when you compare it with say something similar or similar age, say a Land Rover Freelander.

You might want to consider something from Japan though, maybe a Toyota Rav4, Honda CR-V, Suzuki Vitara or a Mazda CX-5, though the Mazda tends to be a bit pricier.

• SieIso
    Goudy said:
    Every used car has a long list of concerns, if they didn't no one would buy new.

Trick is trying to pick a make/model with the least and hopefully a car that has had some of them addressed already.

The Kuga isn't a bad car, not when you compare it with say something similar or similar age, say a Land Rover Freelander.

You might want to consider something from Japan though, maybe a Toyota Rav4, Honda CR-V, Suzuki Vitara or a Mazda CX-5, though the Mazda tends to be a bit pricier.

I have an Audi 2007 2 litre model, I bought it eight years ago and it had around 130k on the clock, I was lucky with it as it didn't give too many issues. Not sure how the Kuga compares in terms of fuel consumption. 
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    2011 diesel won't be ULEZ compliant, so £4k seems quite a lot.
    My FiL sold his 2024 C4 90k miles for £2.2k.  I know that is a substantially different car, but it gives a comparative reference.:smile:
    So he sold next years model for only £2.2k , :) ,a typo i presume.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,863 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Ganga said:
    2011 diesel won't be ULEZ compliant, so £4k seems quite a lot.
    My FiL sold his 2024 C4 90k miles for £2.2k.  I know that is a substantially different car, but it gives a comparative reference.:smile:
    So he sold next years model for only £2.2k , :) ,a typo i presume.
    Aaaah, yes, thank you - it would seem as though depreciation will return to the used car sector after all ;)
    Anyway, to confirm, that should have read 2014.
  • SieIso
    Seller has said they would accept £3500.
  • SieIso said:
    Seller has said they would accept £3500.
    I would not accept it at £3250...........or any figure to be honest. I stick with all I said in my earlier post. But good luck with whatever you buy.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback