Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Extending mum's home to live with her.

My mum currently owns her own home, mortgage free. I own my own home, some mortgage left. I am an only child.
Due to her health needs, I may need to move in with her. Can I get a mortgage to extend her property, enabling me to move in to care for her, rent out my property? I would then own part of her property and live there. What would happen if she was then to need residential care? 


  • elsien
    elsien Forumite Posts: 31,115
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 17 August at 3:45PM
    If she needs residential care, then you could (in the longer term) move back to your own property?
    if you want to stay there, the property would be disregarded for care home means testing if you were over 60 or disabled and living there. Otherwise you might need to look at ways in which you can release Mum’s share of the property for example selling your other property in buying her out. Presuming that she has no other assets which would cover the fees in a different way.

    if you’re taking out a mortgage on your own property to release funds, then I think you might need a buy to let. If the mortgage will be on Mum’s property then  she will need to take it out in her own name.
    You’d have to look at some sort of deed or mechanism for allocating who owns what percentage of the extended house. 

    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

    Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Stubod
    Stubod Forumite Posts: 2,003
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 17 August at 1:41PM
    ...have you looked into becoming a landlord, and do you fully understand the implications and pitfalls of renting out a property?....
    .."It's everybody's fault but mine...."
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 338.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 248.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 447.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 230.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 600.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171.1K Life & Family
  • 244K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards