Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Shared Ownership rent arrears

Hi all,

There was a problem with the direct debit for my rent to the housing association (their end not mine) and I missed two payments before I realised. I have ADHD so struggle to keep on top of stuff like this but I contacted when I realised the third payment had not gone. I contacted the Advisor and he seemed very chill and we verbally agreed a payment plan but I then received a formal letter and he is denying all knowledge. I'm really annoyed that the problem is their mistake and the letter doesn't even begin with an apology, allbeit I realise this doesn't affect the fact that I'm in arrears.
My questions are:

1) Can I contact them with a budget and make affordable payments as I would with another debtor? I have always paid consistently before this and it probably shows you how mush of a struggle things are that I didn't even notice the extra to begin with.
2)Should I escalate a complaint about this as I feel it has tripped up my budgetting when I was on top of things until then?

Thanks all,



  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Forumite Posts: 11,169
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Yes, when you write, I would reference the conversation that you had with the advisor (include, if you can, the date you called (check your phone records if you can't remember) and the name of the person you spoek to. and set out the terms you understood were agreed, and propose that they are kept to.

    Include you income and outgoings with your payment proposals.

    You can separately raise a complaint, I would do it in two separate letters as the two issues will probably be dealt with by two separate people /. departments.

    In the complain letter, set out that :smile:
    1. While you accept that you have a responsibility to pay the rent, it was their error which resulted in the arrears as they failed to collect t the direct debit or to let you know in a timely way that they had not received payment
    2. you contacted them as soon as you became aware of the issue and agreed a repayment plan
    3. You have since received further communications from them which don't reflect the agreement reached 
    State specifically what you want them to do to address your complaint - e.g. an apology, an explanation as to why your DD wasn't taken and why you weren't contacted the first time it failed, or whatever else you want them to do to resolve the complaint.

    Keep copies of both letters - you can e-mail them if you want (consider requesting delivery and read receipts if your email let you do so) or if you send them by post, take them to a post office and ask for proof of postage. 
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • RoxyMontana
    RoxyMontana Forumite Posts: 17
    Second Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    Much appreciated,

    Thanks Bagpuss!
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 338.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 248.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 447.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 230.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 600.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171K Life & Family
  • 243.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards