PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Capital Gains on house sale - expenses!

In calculating CGT for proceeeds of a house sale, I am aware you can expense the costs incurred when buying, But what if the buying was so many years ago and you no longer have a record of how much you paid for a solicitor and a surveyor. Would it be acceptable to put down a reasonale value - I'm sure there are not many who would have a record from 30 years ago but not good to lose out on an allowable expense!

Regards

Comments

• RAS
    RAS Forumite Posts: 31,934
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Is this a second home, BTL?
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • thenap80
    thenap80 Forumite Posts: 420
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Own home for many years and then rented out for another seven. 
  • km1500
    km1500 Forumite Posts: 1,736
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    you should be able to look up what the rates of stamp duty were at the time so that should be accurate

as far as buying costs solicitor etc then an estimate would be ok I believe there is a box at the end of your capital gains tax return which you can tick - it asks if any of the numbers are estimates
  • thenap80
    Forumite
    Hi, I knew that stamp duty cost was an easy one as can look back at rates. The solicitor fee and survey fee though is unknown. Even if I put down that I have used estimates, it says I would be required to provide exact values later on! So still unsure as to if I can use a reasonable estimate. I would say about 2500£ for solicitor and survey!
  • dinkylink
    dinkylink Forumite Posts: 221
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    Forumite
    thenap80 said:
    Hi, I knew that stamp duty cost was an easy one as can look back at rates. The solicitor fee and survey fee though is unknown. Even if I put down that I have used estimates, it says I would be required to provide exact values later on! So still unsure as to if I can use a reasonable estimate. I would say about 2500£ for solicitor and survey!
    £2.5k for those seems a bit toppy for 30 years ago
  • thenap80
    Forumite
    edited 5 August at 1:53PM
    Was about 17 years ago. 
    Maybe 1500£ would be better? Stamp duty was 450 anyway!
  • tigermark119
    tigermark119 Forumite Posts: 15
    10 Posts
    Forumite
    Can anybody advise me please, regarding Capital Gains Tax. I’m the Executor of my Father’s Estate and am in the process of trying to sell his property. Currently have a buyer with an accepted offer. The Solicitor I spoke to in June, who did my Father’s Will, said : “Don’t have the house transferred into your name, otherwise you could be liable for CGT”. What does she mean by this? Am I only liable if the property is in my name?
  • CSI_Yorkshire
    CSI_Yorkshire Forumite Posts: 1,792
    1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Can anybody advise me please, regarding Capital Gains Tax. I’m the Executor of my Father’s Estate and am in the process of trying to sell his property. Currently have a buyer with an accepted offer. The Solicitor I spoke to in June, who did my Father’s Will, said : “Don’t have the house transferred into your name, otherwise you could be liable for CGT”. What does she mean by this? Am I only liable if the property is in my name?
    Yes.  If you have never owned the property, you have not made any capital gain to be taxed on.
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Forumite Posts: 14,033
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    thenap80 said:
    In calculating CGT for proceeeds of a house sale, I am aware you can expense the costs incurred when buying, But what if the buying was so many years ago and you no longer have a record of how much you paid for a solicitor and a surveyor. Would it be acceptable to put down a reasonale value - I'm sure there are not many who would have a record from 30 years ago but not good to lose out on an allowable expense!

Regards
    Why not just declare the truth to HMRC?  Just a thought.
  • thenap80
    Forumite
    thenap80 said:

Regards
    Why not just declare the truth to HMRC?  Just a thought.
    The truth being that I have no values from decades ago and therefore can not put down a figure? That's fine, I may well put down zero, but my question related to whether pytting down a reasonable figure would be okay. That's not trying to avoid any tax due, but merely trying to utilise allowed expenses.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 338.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 248.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 447.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 230.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 600.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171.1K Life & Family
  • 244K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback