NOW LIVE: The Forum 'Ask An Expert' event. The theme is ENERGY. Please post your questions on bills, switches, alternative fuels etc. Our expert MSE Andrew will answer as many as possible

Managed migration letter dropped today - but I'm confused !!


Had the letter I had been dreading - I am currently on WTC (with disabled element)/CTC and PIP - I have a 11 yr old son who lives with me - apart from him I live alone in a mortgaged property. I work 20 hrs a week at min wage - this is all I can manage with my disability. I get no help with council tax etc.

As I understand it the "transitional protection" will mean I will be no worse off now I have the migration letter.

Does this mean my disabled premium of my legacy benefits will be "carried over" to PIP - or will I have go through more health screenings as I did with PIP to get the LCWRA payment - or will that not apply ? I am so confused by all this. If I have to have a health screening - what if I fail it - will I lose the disabled element - so many horror stories of people with no limbs losing benefits.

I appreciate I will get no money towards my mortgage - which is fine.

Will UC make me try and look for more work than the 20 hours I can manage ? I have heard so many scary stories.

My transitional date is September - but I believe they add another month to this - is that correct ?

I am going to leave it as long as I can as I fear the worse with this transition.

Any help/advice is appreciated


  • Rubyroobs
    Rubyroobs Forumite Posts: 798
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Your disability premium won't be carried over as there is no such thing on UC. Your amount of money should be protected though through transitional protection. Once you are on UC you should be able to submit sick notes and wait to be assessed for work capability. You can do this as soon as you are migrated as long as you have PIP daily living component. If you did not receive PIP then you would not be able to be referred for a UC work capability assessment as you would need to be earning less than 16x nmw to be referred. I guess your sick note needs to say something like you are limited in the amount of hours you can work due to your disability. It can take some months to be assessed and depending on the outcome you may get extra money on the UC claim if awarded LCWRA. If only awarded LCW then there is no extra money on the claim but you would be exempt from looking for any extra hours. Your PIP will continue to be paid as normal.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Forumite Posts: 17,112
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    You need to make sure you apply by the deadline in the letter because if you don't your Tax credits will end. With the transtional protection because it erodes over time, if other elements increase or you become entitled to other elements the TP decreases until such a time it erodes completely. Once a decision is made on your work capability assessment if found to have LCWRA  you may not be any better off.  It will depend on how much your TP is (if entitled)
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 338.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 248.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 447.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 230.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 600.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171K Life & Family
  • 244K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards