Difficulty renewing car insurance with new provider

Frances63
Frances63 Posts: 265 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 17 July 2023 at 5:29PM in Insurance & life assurance
My renewal is due and the original company have nearly doubled the premium.
I have gone from 2 years ncb to 3 years ncb, so would have thought the premium would go down if anything. 
I had a stone-chipped windscreen that had to be replaced this year, but was told this is a separate policy and wouldn't affect ncb (it didn't) or the premiums.
No matter, I thought should be easy to switch to a better provider and many are quoting lower premiums. 
When I try to pay online though I keep getting error messages. 
I have checked my entries are all correct yet still it happens right at the end as I try to pay. I tried several times.
Managed to get new company on the phone and they said there is a "Sanctions check error". What does this mean? The girl on the phone had no idea and has to email the technical team for a response (48 hours to respond)..I don't have time to wait 48 hours, my renewal is due imminently.
A few different places I tried would not even quote me .
I don't know what's wrong - any ideas?

Comments

• Frances63
    Yes I saw that Mike JXE and am none the wiser. 

Think that is for commercial ventures. Why would the government impose any sanction on little old me and my domestic car insurance?

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,379 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    https://docs.fcdo.gov.uk/docs/UK-Sanctions-List.html

The above is the list of sanctioned names in the UK, many insurers due to their international nature may also need to check the US, EU and possibly other lists too.  Unfortunately its possible that your name, dob and/or address is a close match to someone on the list. For example there is a Frances Jones born in 1968 who's sanctioned as an ISIS recruiter, originally from Greenwich and possibly now in UK or Syria... theres a reasonable prospect of another person sharing her name/dob in the UK.
  • Frances63
    Thanks, I think the problem is with my current insurer, 1st Central, who claim I'm in arrears (I paid annually, in full, in advance).

I'm not in arrears, but they have a habit of trying to find spurious faults in a quote application.

I have cleared it up with them a long time ago and they had apologised for their 'error' (a purported technical glitch  :o) but the arrears remains on their file. 

I can't get it removed because their call centre, in South Africa, will not put you through to a manager, in Haywards Heath, because it's 'impossible' - go figure. I cannot get a call back as the managers are only 'for internal'. 

The call centre staff are useless and can't do anything. They're just a front to try to put you off.

So I am technically stuffed and at their mercy!

Planning a massive complaint. If anyone has any experience of this company, or their own complaint, please pm me.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,379 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    If your current broker is so bad why are you so desperate to stay with them?
  • Frances63
    If your current broker is so bad why are you so desperate to stay with them?
    Eh? I'm not! 
    That's the whole point
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport