Is anyone else a long term customer of First Direct, fed up of never being offered an reward?

I have been with First Direct since they started and have never wanted to switch but am thinking of switching away just so I can benefit from a cash-back offer.

Is anyone else a long term customer of First Direct, fed up of never being offered an reward? 26 votes

Me too
19%
Archie_DukeBigwheels1111Hattie627emperormessiaboingy 5 votes
I agree but I can't be bothered to switch
3%
morgmonster 1 vote
it's not a problem for me.
50%
financialblisslr1277WiltEarthBoyGingerTimwiseonesomeofthetimeShedmannologoZuziMovingForwardsStargunnerMorningcoffeeIVVannaa 13 votes
It would be great if First Direct valued their long standing customers too
26%
fiishThe_Money_Saver_2Keithy13CuriousGirlgregspudRoi35426ForumUser7 7 votes

Comments

• Emmia
    Emmia Forumite Posts: 2,271
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Switching rewards are usually to attract new customers, not retain existing ones - so the lack of reward for you is not surprising.

If you want "rewards" you'll need to play the switching game.
  • wmb194
    wmb194 Forumite Posts: 2,537
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Open a second current account and switch that.
  • fiish
    fiish Forumite Posts: 812
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    It would be great if First Direct valued their long standing customers too
    One could argue that the benefit of staying with FD is the level of customer service, which feels to me to have kept up since I opened my account over 10 years ago. 

I have another account for bouncing around the switching services 😁
  • Bigwheels1111
    Bigwheels1111 Forumite Posts: 1,848
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Me too
    I will keep FD as my main account until I die.
    I Love it.
    They screw up like any other bank, but a call or two fixes it.
    No need to visit a main branch 30 miles away, with a passport, driving license and signing your name in blood.
    At last count I have 11 bank accounts for various reasons, cashback, interest free overdrafts etc.
    Had issues with them all.
    Bit FD wins out overall.
  • BikingBud
    BikingBud Forumite Posts: 1,538
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Good customer service seems a little like the fallacy of the quality of German cars, scratch through the thin veneer and they are as bad as every other car out there.

My wife has stayed with them and seems to be complaining fairly regularly about their poor service recently.

With banking apps and ease of transfer their customer services which were quite revolutionary 30 years ago are now somewhat clunky and unresponsive.

There is better value for money elsewhere.
    Mortgage: £200,000 (Sep 2021)                                      Initial MF date: Sep 2031 

Int Rate:
    1.19% fixed until Nov 2026 (7.75% follow on rate?)
    Cap+Int Repaid: £65100 (32%)  £80,704 (40%) £82468 (40.48%)£89507 (43%) £91267 (44.7%)

Target MF date: Nov 2026  Current MF date: Dec 2029,  Nov 2029, Apr 2029                                    
    Target Int Saving: £21,709 Current Int Saved: £12,350,   £13,421,  £16,991, £17,989, £18,699

Overpayments suspended and surplus cash currently being diverted to high interest savings.
  • WillPS
    WillPS Forumite Posts: 2,594
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    BikingBud said:
    Good customer service seems a little like the fallacy of the quality of German cars, scratch through the thin veneer and they are as bad as every other car out there.
    This is my experience too. The whole straight through to a human thing is a bit of a gimmick IMHO, the human you get "straight through" to does essentially the job of a phone menu - takes you through security and attempts to route your call. You still end up waiting as long as anywhere else after you've done that.

I was very happy to take the £100 bribe to leave them.
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Forumite Posts: 3,652
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I got the switching reward 15 years ago when I first joined First Direct. So I'm both a long standing customer and I got the reward.
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Forumite Posts: 3,652
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    WillPS said:
    BikingBud said:
    This is my experience too. The whole straight through to a human thing is a bit of a gimmick IMHO, the human you get "straight through" to does essentially the job of a phone menu - takes you through security and attempts to route your call. You still end up waiting as long as anywhere else after you've done that.

90% of the time the first line person I spoke to was able to help with the basic enquiry. Same as going into a bank branch really.
  • Rich1976
    Rich1976 Forumite Posts: 429
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Personally I value the customer service more than short term gimmicks and incentives. We have been with a number of banks over the years and none have come close to the service offered by First Direct.
    it does what it’s supposed to do. The online banking and app experience are perfectly adequate and I can view accounts and transfer money in seconds.
    apart from maybe one or two issues a few years back, on the very rare occasion we have had to call them we have generally got through in less than a few minutes and the query has been resolved or answered as it should be.

other banks we have been with prior to First Direct have provided average to poor service. 
    So really a £100 or £200 incentive to move to another bank does not appeal. It’s not going to make much of a difference to our finances and once the incentive has been paid, then what? A continuation of the average to poor service experienced in the past from the likes of HSBC and especially Nationwide. No thanks!
  • WillPS
    WillPS Forumite Posts: 2,594
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    jon81uk said:
    WillPS said:
    BikingBud said:

90% of the time the first line person I spoke to was able to help with the basic enquiry. Same as going into a bank branch really.

Sure - the stuff you can do without talking to a human at all with other banks, just a few options on a phone menu.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 338.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 248.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 447.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 230.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 601K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171.1K Life & Family
  • 244.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback