Cheap(er) energy?

FlaatusGoat
FlaatusGoat Forumite Posts: 193
100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
Forumite
The house I've just bought is on BG for both supplies. The Cheap Energy club is now defunct, as cheap energy is now a thing of the past. So I guess I just have to stay on BG standard variable yippy so much for free-market capitalism. Unless I'm wrong here - and there are actually cheaper suppliers? Any thoughts?

Comments

• Gerry1
    Gerry1 Forumite Posts: 9,081
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Octopus's standing charge is slightly lower and their customer service is likely to.be much better.
  • tastyhog
    tastyhog Forumite Posts: 837
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Of course there's cheaper suppliers, octopus Agile for me is coming in about about 20 - 21p a unit at the moment, compared to their 30p a unit on their flexible tariff, that's still quite a saving even during these times

• frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Forumite Posts: 9,763
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Hi,
    all much the same SVT, you may want to switch for customer service, billing period, BG are six monthly, some offer a variable DD where you pay for what you've used, lower bills in summer higher in winter.
    Y'all take care now.
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Forumite Posts: 11,518
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I wouldn’t change(disclaimer I have shares in Centrica) ! OK I would change I ditched BG years ago and now am with Octopus, no problems really, but would stay clear of OVO , last experience not good, but got £50 to go away. There are always suppliers who suit your requirements 
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • james290786
    james290786 Forumite Posts: 7
    Part of the Furniture First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I am fortunate to have a house in Spain (all electric). Spain has a standard tarif that allows 3 rates of usage (Cheap: 0-8, every weekend & Bank holidays), Medium 8-10/14-18/22-24. Expensive 10-14/18-22). If I use total kWh per month including taxes and equivalent standing charges and compare Spain with UK, the Spanish cost is half the price of the UK by making effective use of the cheap and medium periods to reduce cost. Can’t we have a comparable tarif in the UK, and if not why not……
    thankyou
  • CSI_Yorkshire
    CSI_Yorkshire Forumite Posts: 1,792
    1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Can’t we have a comparable tarif in the UK, and if not why not……
    We could.  But why should a supplier offer that?  There's no guarantee that the actual price of electricity to the supplier follows that pattern.

If you want that sort of pattern, use a market tracking tariff like Octopus Agile.

the Spanish cost is half the price of the UK by making effective use of the cheap and medium periods to reduce cost. 
    If you make effective use of the cheap period of an E7 tariff in the UK you can reduce cost.

• EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Forumite Posts: 19,002
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Our upcoming new house is currently supplied by Eon - and as soon as practical once in and registered with Eon we will be shifting back to Octopus again. We've been very pleased with them where we are and so I'll be quite happy to effectively "stay with them" albeit with a few weeks hiatus while the shift of supplier is taking place.  Then once we've got to grips with the smart meters I'll be exploring other possible tariffs that might work for us. 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    2023 "Gym Neutral Fund" - £104.46/£280 (Membership taken 01/2/23)🏋🏻♀️ 2023/24 Gym cost per use: at 19/06/23 £20.00 per visit! (14) 🏋🏻♀️
    she/her
  • QrizB
    QrizB Forumite Posts: 11,385
    10,000 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Can’t we have a comparable tarif in the UK, and if not why not……
    Yes we can.
    The Green Energy UK "Tide" tariff worked a bit like that, whish a cheap overnight rate, a medium -priced rate for most of the rest of the day, and a peak rate from 1600-2000 on weekdays.
    Logicor Energy has a similar tariff.
    Both tariffs were discontinued when prices soared and the EPG was introduced.
    I think Logicor have ceased trading but GEUK are still in business and could potentially reintroduce Tide when markets stabilise.

N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 338.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 248.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 447.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 230.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 600.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171K Life & Family
  • 243.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback