Retail Bank Accounts

2»

Comments

• TheMaverick000000
    TheMaverick000000 Forumite Posts: 34
    10 Posts
    Forumite
    wmb194 said:
    I cannot, for the life of me, understand why they require the use of all this technology. I have a current account with my bank that has several thousand pounds in credit. Furthermore, I do not require an app or an online account in order to run it. Why should savings be any different?
    For many institutions it's to keep running costs down and for customer convenience. As mentioned above by Eskbanker and Flaneure_Lobster, no doubt if you wanted to you could manage a savings account by branch with a high street bank or building society. 

Obviously the downside to eschewing online banking and smartphone and tablet apps is that you won't get the best rates; by making your comments on this site you use the internet so why don't you want to use online banking?

I will never use online banking purely for security reasons. Should an issue ever occur where my account is stripped of its contents, I have no doubt that the bank will try to wiggle out of responsibility. "You must have told someone your details", or, "You wrote down your username/password, and somebody saw it".
    Try proving the banks fault in a court of law, they can afford better lawyers than you can.
  • WillPS
    WillPS Forumite Posts: 2,812
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    "You must have told someone your details", or, "You wrote down your username/password, and somebody saw it".
    Banks all have 2FA in order to prevent this sort of fraud being possible without further live interaction with the account holder.

Try proving the banks fault in a court of law, they can afford better lawyers than you can.
    I don't know that it's ever come to that; every case I know of the bank has eventually put things right for the customer - even in situations where the cynic in me really questions how innocent a party the victim was!

• Barkin
    Barkin Forumite Posts: 277
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

Hmmm... you started by asking about banks that don't require online banking or an app. 

You then said... 

---x---
    I cannot, for the life of me, understand why they require the use of all this technology. I have a current account with my bank that has several thousand pounds in credit. Furthermore, I do not require an app or an online account in order to run it. Why should savings be any different?
    ---x---

... so it looks like your current account needs are already met, and you're in fact asking about savings accounts? Yes?

In which case, what does the bank that provides your current account have to offer? 

Or how about a (possibly local) Building Society? You could find one that offers accounts that can be managed in branch, over the 'phone or by post.

You likely won't  get the best rates available though... 
  • TheMaverick000000
    TheMaverick000000 Forumite Posts: 34
    10 Posts
    Forumite
    Barkin said:

Hmmm... you started by asking about banks that don't require online banking or an app. 

You then said... 

---x---
    ---x---

... so it looks like your current account needs are already met, and you're in fact asking about savings accounts? Yes?

In which case, what does the bank that provides your current account have to offer? 

Or how about a (possibly local) Building Society? You could find one that offers accounts that can be managed in branch, over the 'phone or by post.

My Building Society does not provide savings accounts outside of technology, only current accounts.
  • wmb194
    wmb194 Forumite Posts: 2,847
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 5 September at 7:56PM
    Barkin said:

You then said... 

---x---
    ---x---

My Building Society does not provide savings accounts outside of technology, only current accounts.
    Which building society? I think only two offer current accounts, Nationwide and Cumberland. Nationwide's Instant Access Saver can be managed in branch. Look for another one? Monmouthshire for instance offers savings accounts with passbooks that you can operate in branch and by post.

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/savings/instant-access-saver/
  • Barkin
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Barkin said:

You then said... 

---x---
    ---x---

Why restrict yourself to "your" Building Society, given that it apparently doesn't offer what you're looking for? 
  • Barkin
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    wmb194 said:
    Barkin said:

You then said... 

---x---
    ---x---

Nationwide's Instant Access Saver can be managed in branch. Look for another one? Monmouthshire for instance offers savings accounts with passbooks that you can operate in branch and by post.

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/savings/instant-access-saver/
    From the top of my head, I'm pretty sure that Cambridge BS, Saffron BS & Paragon bank offer similar, and I've no doubt that there are lots of others.

But I get the feeling that the OP is more interested in a moan than a solution to their 'problem', so that's me done. 
  • pridehappy
    pridehappy Forumite Posts: 287
    100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Most high-street banks still offer current and savings accounts you can manage in-store if you need to, or solely in-store if you absolutely need to. However, be aware that you most often will not receive the best deals available.

These current accounts can be managed in-branch from the best of my knowledge:
    • Barclay's Current Accounts
    • Lloyds Bank/Halifax/Bank of Scotland Current Accounts
    • HSBC Bank Account
    • NatWest/RBS Current Accounts (Reward+ miss on £1 per month)
    • Cumberland Building Society Current Accounts
    • Nationwide Building Society Current Accounts (except FlexDirect)
    • Santander Current Accounts
    • TSB Spend & Save Accounts
    • Virgin Money Current Accounts
    • Metro Bank Current Accounts
    • Cooperative Bank Current Accounts
    I also know Skipton Building Society offer some good branch-designated savings accounts which offer better interest rates than those typically operated in-branch only.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 340.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 448.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 232K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 603.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171.6K Life & Family
  • 245.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback